How to break the news?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
OK all, what is the best way to break the news to a couple of players that have been with this team for 4 years, that they are holding the team back and will not be playing for us next year?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, it happened to a relative of mine. They called her dad mid season and told him, they had picked up 2 girls and were letting his DD go. It was awful and came out of the blue.

Why don't you just hold open try outs for everyone? The girls either make the team or they don't.

I agree with Amy....better to do it that way than to say that their children aren't good enough for the team, or holding them back. That is devastating news that no parent or player would ever want to hear from a coach. Just my two cents.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
To make a clean break, we ALWAYS hold an open tryout. If we pickup
players mid-season, we do not make any cuts. Mid-Season pickups are
dangerous in regards to team chemistry

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Oh no... we are holding open tryouts. I suspect because they have been with us for so long that the parents "feel" entitlement. I would never do mid-season cuts. The way I figure it is if they made the team they should play. In the past we kept these two just to have enough to field a team. This next tryout, no matter what the numbers are, they have to be cut.

I guess to re-ask; How do I tell them that they are cut, when in the past they made the team?

Mar 15, 2010
I guess to re-ask; How do I tell them that they are cut, when in the past they made the team?

Before tryouts start I am very clear with my players. "First of all thank you all for taking time to tryout for the team today. All positions on the team are available and each of you will need to tryout again to earn a spot on this team. Some of you will not make it. When I call you to tell you if you made the team I will not explain the reason why you made it or why you did not make it. If you are not chosen for the team I am more than willing to setup time in the future to answer any questions you have about your abilities".

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Coach K, why not mention to all players in a team setting that there are moves that have to be made and so, if the players or their parents what to know what you are thinking, have them set up a brief meeting. You give them a chance to not get embarassed, air their thoughts and then you can move on knowing you did your best for them.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Coach, you are going to feel bad. You are a good person, and good people feel bad when they do that stuff. There is no way to avoid it.

In reality, you are doing them a favor. It would be better for them to be involved with band, chorus, flags, volleyball, basketball, etc. than to waste their time sitting the bench on a softball team.

Be honest with them, and tell them personally. It will be harder on you, but it ultimately will be better. Tell them the positives--"You are a great kid, I've enjoyed coaching you. But, we have other players we need to try. If you want to catch on with another team, you can count on me to give you a positive reference."

Ultimately, all athletes are told that their athletic career is over. It is tough.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD tried out for a team that was a little more polished than she was and I got the call. I was pretty certain DD hadn't made the cut but the coach was very nice. Spoke about the number of girls that tried out vs the number of spots they were going to carry and that there were some tough decisions. DD showed well but in the end they had 11 spots and DD did not make the roster. They invited her to try again next year. FWIW, DD wants that team enough that she has worked very hard this season to make it this fall. I'm on pins and needles waiting for next weekend to be over. I think I'll skip the observation this year.

It's not going to be easy to cut girls that have been with the team but the open tryout sounds like the best option. It doesn't mean their softball playing is over, just with your team.

Dec 28, 2008
I agree with Sluggers 100% be HONEST with them and their parents. Share exactly what things you feel that they need to work. Hitting? Fielding? Baserunning? Specific areas where they are behind and need to catch up. Even if it is a bad attitude or negative talk in/around the dugout and sheer laziness or something. That at least gives them a target to work on. That doesn't mean that their parents will believe you, but at least the player doesn't think it was just because someone doesn't like her.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA