How to avoid bad organizations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
How do you avoid bad organizations? We recently had an experience with a terrible organization out of NJ with the initials LD. Had I known the owner was a thief and a liar, we'd have avoided like the plague, but there doesn't seem to be a database out there to help. Am I missing something here?

Jun 27, 2021
Unfortunately, this is common in youth sports. You have people who see opportunity and parents willing to pay money to play weekend softball/baseball. My advice for anyone wanting to get not travel is to wait until 12U. Invest that time and money into personal lessons, rec ball and playing other sports. If your child is ready to step into travel ball because there is potential to play at a higher level then do research.

1. organization - NJ Intensity vs. NJ Diamond Lady Bombers Elite (made up name I hope)
2. website- how many teams in each age group. If more than 2 in a certain geography not ideal if they are out of the same facility
3. turnover- high turnover is an automatic red flag
4. view their social media page - are they constantly looking for players.
5. style of coaching- high stress coach (yeller, short fuse) or calm teach in the moment and not punish.
6. If your child is a pitcher , do they have experience in the position or are they a just throw strikes type coach
7. Money - how is it used.
8. travel - where, when and what bracket (if you travel South and you're not at the main fields for showcases, you're not viewed like your coach sold it as)
9. background- what is the coaches background (do they have a kid, what position do they play, did they play sports, what players have they placed into college)
10. Talk to those who you know that are in travel and get their view and opinion.

Aug 24, 2021
scout the teams you are interested in by going to a tournament they are playing in before you tryout for them. No one will notice that you are there...you can observe the coach (and parents) in 'real game' situations, so you can see what you are getting yourself and your DD into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi