How to address Hello Elbow with PC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 30, 2013
DD and I love her pitching coach. She has a lot of energy, is a great teacher and keeps DD engaged. Plus she was a successful college pitcher. But, she teaches to follow through with the elbow pointed at the catcher and I have spent a lot of time reading about I/R on this forum. I don't think DD truly uses the Hello Elbow technique because most of the time she is pulling the elbow into that position after the fact. Also, after finding a picture of PC pitching in college, it is obvious that she didn't use this technique either.

So, can I ask PC to teach DD to pitch like she actually pitches?

May 6, 2013
San Antonio TX.
I would speak to your pitching coach but be prepared to get resistant but ultimately should do what is best for your DD if she does not help teach her I/R. I had a similar situation and we left her pitching coach. It was the best decision I made for my DD.

May 31, 2012
Tell her like it is. Listen here buddy there ain't a pitcher in this world that's worth a crap that uses hello elbow. I'm kidding. Ask pc to throw a few pitches video her and show her the video.
How could you ever throw a curve, rise, screw with hello elbow.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
You pay a coach to help your dd learn to pitch, not the other way around. Your energy should be put in your dd, not the pc. Great personality or not, the lesson should be directed towards your dd, not your pc. It's not easy, but go back to what your goal was before you met this nice pc... and your answer should be clearer. Best of luck!

Jul 14, 2008
While your at it, ask your PC if he/she has ever heard of "open style pitching" causing blindness......:D

May 24, 2013
California
I'm just a bucketdad, played BB in HS but far from knowing anything about softball. I just went though the same thing a few months ago with my DD. My DD 10 started her lessions with PC back in June. PC ex SB pitcher and currently coaching local HS ball 20yrs + experience etc... As DD's lessions progressed and I educated myself, I learned that PC was teaching her the hello elbow. I spoke to the PC about HE vs. IR, he got a bit defensive, so not wanting to argue I just nodded my head and said ok. Started looking for new PC that taught IR but DD wanted to stay with him as DD gets along well with him. So I took a different approach and asked instead "can you show me and DD a few videos of pitchers so DD can get a better idea of what she is working towards?" And of course the videos he showed us were of pitchers using IR. While watching the videos together I think he realized he was pitching IR but teaching HE. After that he stopped the HE follow through and taught based on how he pitched, IR. Never admitted he was wrong but I don't care as long as he's teaching DD the correct pitching mechanics.

Maybe this approach will work for you as well. When I first brought this up to our PC, he got real defensive, but after we watched the videos together no more elbow point to catcher or wrist snap drills, more keep your elbow bent & lead with elbow. Of course if he was to continue to teach DD HE, I was going to find a different PC that taught IR. Good Luck to you & your DD.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
If she switches to IR, have the IcyHot available for her elbow and shoulder. The IcyHot probably wont help the lower back soreness.

And if she starts getting IPs called for having the hand farther away from the body than the elbow, maybe you can have someone talk to the ump too.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
DanDare,

Just curious where the handle "DanDare" comes from?

Regarding the "hello elbow".... I think odds are greatly against you getting anywhere with her pitching coach. Why? Because if the pitching coach were truly a student of the game, I think should would have already dropped that style. It's my experience that many of these "experts" who teach aren't really experts at all. Why not? Because to me, a true expert is always a student--always open-minded, particularly to something as compelling as the I/R stuff.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Hal,

You said, "If she switches to IR, have the IcyHot available for her elbow and shoulder."

I disagree! And I do so loudly.

Jul 26, 2010
Hal's been working on a new book, here's the cover:

reject-your-reality.jpg

-W

Attachments

• reject-your-reality.jpg
    reject-your-reality.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 19

Forum statistics

Threads
Members