How often to pitch during TB season?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Scenario: Pitcher gets 12-20 innings each weekend. High-level 14A, mostly playing up at 16A ASA ball.

How often and how much should the pitcher throw during the week?

Interested to hear any input.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
If she plays every weekend and has 2 team practices during the week that she pitches at and 1 lesson every or every other week, that should be plenty. There will be plenty of time at 16U and 18U/Gold to burn her out.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Believe it or not, I am serious. If a kid is on a 14U TB team and the pitchers work out at team practices a couple times per week and plays every weekend she is getting enough pitching time IMO.

A kid who is 16-18 years old and very serious about playing college ball will probably want to pitch 6 days per week. I've seen many at this point get burned out and decide pitching isn't for them.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Believe it or not, I am serious. If a kid is on a 14U TB team and the pitchers work out at team practices a couple times per week and plays every weekend she is getting enough pitching time IMO.

A kid who is 16-18 years old and very serious about playing college ball will probably want to pitch 6 days per week. I've seen many at this point get burned out and decide pitching isn't for them.

Ok, that's what I thought. I concur with your 14U schedule, that's where we are at

Jul 26, 2010
It's important to take the time to work on each pitch individually. She probably isn't getting the chance to do this if she's just pitching in practice and games. I realize that she's pitching a lot in games, so you may figure, "she's good enough", but "good enough" depends entirely on her goals. Assess her goals and then devise a healthy but productive plan to achieve those. Winning 16u tournaments is not an important milestone.

-W

Jul 26, 2010
PC time is to get assessment and homework of what to work on during the week. You have to do the homework to make the PC time worthwhile. PC time isn't practice time.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes