How much is too much

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2016
As a coach with a small pitching staff you need to realize that pitching efficiency is key. I had similar issues with our last team (lack of pitchers). We pitch for outs and not necessarily for the strike outs. Calling for pitches that when properly placed would result in a ground ball or fly out. Let the defense work. Of course that only works if tour pitcher is accurate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

May 12, 2014
1herm4, my DD is a Utility player in the summer. She'll pitch when needed. Heck she doesn't really take lessons. She just pitches on natural ability. She gets a lot of Ks actually. Just might take her 6 pitches to get them. Lol

Oct 19, 2009
Are the coaches that helped the girl after she collapsed the same idiots that agreed to the schedule? This falls squarely on the coaches and administrators who have failed miserably.

I do not know who set the schedule, I do know the SRO officer had nothing to do with the schedule. He picked up the parents drove them the 2 hours to the hospital, stayed until she was released, which was late at night, and then drove then drove the family back to their home. The coach went back to the school, then drove back in his car to the hospital to check on the child, and also stayed with the family, if he had anything to do with the schedule I do not know or if it was set by the GHSA.

DD helped in getting the other kids home and stayed until the last kid was picked up then called to check on the kid, DD joined the team after the schedule was set, so I do know she did not set the schedule and complained to me repeatedly about the schedule.

So who is the idiot that set the schedule? At this time I can not answer that question.

Apr 28, 2016
I do not know who set the schedule, I do know the SRO officer had nothing to do with the schedule. He picked up the parents drove them the 2 hours to the hospital, stayed until she was released, which was late at night, and then drove then drove the family back to their home. The coach went back to the school, then drove back in his car to the hospital to check on the child, and also stayed with the family, if he had anything to do with the schedule I do not know or if it was set by the GHSA.

DD helped in getting the other kids home and stayed until the last kid was picked up then called to check on the kid, DD joined the team after the schedule was set, so I do know she did not set the schedule and complained to me repeatedly about the schedule.

So who is the idiot that set the schedule? At this time I can not answer that question.

I sent you a private message, but I believe my daughters team was the team playing your team when the player became ill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

I am sure the SRO had nothing to do with the schedule. This is typically a clueless Athletic Director who blindly sets the schedule and Coach who lacks the common sense or fortitude to push back on a schedule that is clearly not in the best interests of the players.

May 12, 2014
Update.....they did bring down another pitcher to pitch Tuesday's game. But she got into trouble and DD had to come in. But, I guess it's better than a full game. lol

Aug 12, 2014
My DD is the only pitcher on her JV team as well, but they only have 8 games for the season, so I'm not too concerned about overuse. They also only have one catcher. They had their first game yesterday and the coach had a pitcher and catcher from the varsity on the bench in case they were needed. The JV team is extremely inexperienced - DD, the catcher and one other girl are the only ones with any real experience. A few girls played a year or two for their MS teams or on very rec teams, and the other half of the girls have never played at all. But it's great because they actually have a JV team for the first time in four years. Last year, they only had 11 or 12 girls total. If that was the case this year, DD would be riding the bench on varsity, so we're thrilled she's getting to play JV.

The varsity is really good. Last year they only lost four games, and two were to the state champion. This year they are 11th in the state preseason poll. I'm really interested to see what the coaches can do with the JV girls over the next few years.

Anyway, like others said, speak up to protect your DDs health. Maybe point out to your coach that in a year or two, he'll need her to pitch varsity and she won't be able to if her arm is shot or she's burnt out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles