How much is too much

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
It's never OK to only have one pitcher. Some days you just don't have it and need to give the kid a break. I have to believe some other kid can
at least throw some strikes to give her a little break from time to time.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Could not disagree more. Not the time to play silly games, this goes to the safety and welfare of the minor child. Parent should take the lead.

Disagree with your disagreement.

She is probly 14, she needs to stand up for herself. DW and me and not far behind but they need to stand up for themselves.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Disagree with your disagreement.

She is probly 14, she needs to stand up for herself. DW and me and not far behind but they need to stand up for themselves.

So if a coach is placing your DD in a position that clearly represents a threat to her health and welfare your solution is to let her handle it? Wow!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
You are in a mood.

Never said that in either post, she has first chance to solve it. Mentioned parent in both posts.

There is a time to let kids handle things on their own and there are times to be a parent. Not talking about a discussion about playing time, or what position she plays. When your kid is being placed in a position where her health and welfare is at risk you need to be a parent and take care of business not play silly games. The coach(es) have already demonstrated some very poor judgement and as such the parent needs to handle the matter immediately and decisively.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
I side with Riseball. If you ask a kid if they can go they will say yes. Our team has a lot of economically disadvantaged players. For most tournaments and I would guess when these kids play High School less than half the parents are there. Also you get the football playing father who thinks you can tough out anything. If the coaches aren't on board with safety there will come a time when they are forced to do something. While most coaches are pretty good about it, I have little doubt that there are those out there who would go coach Kilmer on a player and shoot them up in order to get them to play in a seemingly big game.

May 12, 2014
My wife and I spoke to the coach. We initially asked could we speak to him and he said to have DD come speak to him first. Of course we said no. Basically, told him that what they are asking her to do is not healthy mentally or physically. Coach said that she's the cause of her pitch counts being so high. Said she keeps getting behind in the count and fighting back...which he's right in regards to getting behind. I told him it doesn't matter how the pitch count became high...it's still high. She needs help and this isn't an option.

He said he'll see who he can pull down from varsity

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My wife and I spoke to the coach. We initially asked could we speak to him and he said to have DD come speak to him first. Of course we said no. Basically, told him that what they are asking her to do is not healthy mentally or physically. Coach said that she's the cause of her pitch counts being so high. Said she keeps getting behind in the count and fighting back...which he's right in regards to getting behind. I told him it doesn't matter how the pitch count became high...it's still high. She needs help and this isn't an option.

Well done!!!

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

It's a little disturbing that his first reaction was "it's her fault." It shows he's not thinking about her health.

School teams can't really control how many pitchers they have, but they can control how many games they play. I purposefully never scheduled games on more than two days in a row this past year because I went into the season with 1 actual pitcher and 1 girl who could sometimes pitch but has had a history of shoulder trouble.

I know I do things a bit differently from other coaches, but if I found myself in a situation where I had literally nobody to pitch, I'd cancel the game or take the forfeit L before I'd force a kid to pitch that much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles