How much do you pay to play HS?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am anticipating that will be what I pay next year (providing DD makes a team). Given your experience is this the norm for the metro area?

I think we are little on the high end, with $400-500 being the norm. I know of one team that is $1000, but they just built a new indoor hitting facility.

Aug 6, 2013
Yes, but for some families the $ hurts. Does your school have provisions for kids with subsidized lunches?
Of course - and I believe those kid's get the fee waived.

So let me rephrase; I would rather pay for my kid AND any kid who needs finanacial help then have the general tax payer in the district have to pay for it.

Feb 3, 2011
We paid an optional $50 per sport in middle school.

I don't know what they pay at the HS, but when the JV team is winning by an average of 17-18 runs per game and half the players aren't even getting onto the field.....

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I pay zero dollars. 2nd year the new HS has been open. They built 2 baseball and 2 softball fields, one for games and one for practice. They then built a $500K yes $500K indoor hitting facility, several dozen new balls, secured a new uniform deal with Under Armour, brand new hitting nets and protective screens, field tarp to prevent rainouts. This is on top of the 11 other fields they built for all other sports. The campus was designed by a former D1 college softball coach when he became Athletic Director, it's designed to pull student athletes there away from other local districts. The guidance counselors are assigned by last name until you inform them you are attempting to play sports in college, once you state that you are given a different team of counselors that understand the acceptance process.

It's an amazing facility that my DD will get to enjoy for the next 4 years. Sometimes it pays to live in a low income area of your state. P.S. the football team has 5 fields.

Mar 26, 2013
Our HS softball boosters had to raise $600-700 per player from fundraisers and donations because we got minimal support from the school (i.e. 3 coaching stipends total for 2 teams, umpire fees for home league games and buses for away games on school days - no balls, uniforms, etc). Calif law does not allow schools to charge pay-to-play fees as interscholastic sports are considered part of the guaranteed "free" education, so we made the program's finances extremely transparent and strongly prodded families to cover their share via fundraisers and/or out of their pocket.

A major point of irritation is we had to maintain the field year-round, however the district required non-HS teams pay them for using the field.

Apr 25, 2010
We pay zero dollars. They get one uniform that gets turned in at the end of the year. We supply our own helmets, socks, bags, bats, etc. My DH and I donated some equipment that we had to the program because all they had was old aluminum bats and ratty Rawlings bobble head helmets. Our boosters are useless when it comes to the softball team. They are all about basketball around here. If the girls get new uniforms, it's because they held a spaghetti dinner to raise the money themselves. They did the dinner 2 years ago, bought new uniforms, and still had enough to buy new ones again this year.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
When Dd was in high school...$65 a sport. In my area some of the bigger schools, there parents have to pay $650 a sport

SL

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Starting this year $0. In Ia we play in summer. She desided she didn't want to spend 8-12 hours a day (practice/bp, support/play freshman/jv then varsity dbl headers...be there between 10am and noon, get home after 10pm), 5 days a week, along with some "high school" weekend tourneys, for 2 1/2 of the 3 months of summer vacation. (Along with some other reasons).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA