How many players are too many?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
I think you need to consider the quality of the pitching.

If the team has an ace who can give five innings -- maybe 75 pitches each game -- twice on Saturday and also has a good #2 to get them through the second game and part of the third is too, then four is too many unless someone gets hurt.

4 with average/below average pitching -- where pitchers regularly gets pulled after three innings -- isn't a bad thing to have on a 3- or 4-game guarantee Saturday.

Also, for most players and their families, having some roster flexibility at 16 is a good thing to have -- the ability to skip a tourney (for vacations or college tours) without screwing the team can be really beneficial.

As we're putting together next years 18 team, I'm pushing for 15, just so we can have some family time the summer before she leaves for college.

Jan 28, 2017
Have a good HS team that has a flame thrower, kid that spins it really well, and a kid that can't throw hard at all and they never go through the line up twice.

Feb 20, 2021
Why not take 4 incase one is injured or cant make games.
I just thought it was funny the reason to take 4….lol. And again, I’m not totally against the 4 pitcher scenario, we’ve just always carried three. I’m just curious as to how it works for other teams. We have our team meeting this weekend and this post gives me alot of questions to ask.

Feb 20, 2021
Saw your playing time post...
Was playing time %
At pool play
One game at pitcher
One game secondary position
One game sit

33.% pitching time very reasonable to accommodate.

Depending on how good she is ... out of 4 pitchers that could be the #1 spot! Her Getting an entire game, while other 3 pitchers split the other 2 games.

However~
That could also happen with just 2 pictchers. Her and 1 other.
The other pitcher getting 67%

70% playing time is reasonable imo. Split at 2 positions or a 1 position player.
But a pitcher getting 70% means she's carrying the team, or too much load.
My daughter is probably the 2. Pushing for the 1. I posted this because the old coach just had a life change event that she had to move and the new coach hasn’t had time to get us all together. I have no idea her thought process just yet. My DD likes her. She’s been in the dugout the last two tourneys to get to know the girls.

Feb 20, 2021
The Hittin' Kittens only have 2 pitchers and only 11 on the roster. That's why they are the Hittin' Kittens!

Back to real life, 4 pitchers is ideal for 16u and 18u for teams. Did this for 4 years straight. A decent coach can play 16 players in a weekend tourney. Players don't need to play every inning of every game.
I agree. I just wanted to hear others experiences. I’m not sure of the new coaches philosophy. My daughter is the solid 2 pushing the 1 so I’m sure she’ll get her innings. But we aren’t a national team. Local playing some showcases. Just wanted input on how some coaches do it and parents experiences.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
and the new coach hasn’t had time to get us all together. I have no idea her thought process just yet. My DD likes her. She’s been in the dugout the last two tourneys to get to know the girls.
If the NEW coach hasnt communicated about their goals yet...perhaps if enough players 'ask questions' the coach will recognize the importance of
'making time' to communicate!

Some just dont tho...

Feb 20, 2021
If the NEW coach hasnt communicated about their goals yet...perhaps if enough players 'ask questions' the coach will recognize the importance of
'making time' to communicate!

Some just dont tho...
I agree. My daughter and a couple have. The reason for a meeting this weekend. It’s one of my concerns. And my daughters. And others. The new coach is well qualified but we need to hear the answers to the questions.

May 29, 2019
I just thought it was funny the reason to take 4….lol. And again, I’m not totally against the 4 pitcher scenario, we’ve just always carried three. I’m just curious as to how it works for other teams. We have our team meeting this weekend and this post gives me alot of questions to ask.
DD played on a team that carried four pitchers. The coach assigned games/innings for pool play before hand, so they knew what games and innings they were going to pitch before the tourney even started. Obviously, things can happen to throw off the schedule, but it was fair. During bracket play, the coach went with who had their "stuff" that day. We were a "National" team, with all four pitchers being D-1 commits (three were P5) so the coach always had options.

Sep 3, 2015
I don’t know….I’d like to see her pitch one pool game and maybe play IF a game. I’m good with best lineup in bracket play. But I think everyone should get an opportunity to show what they can do during pool play. I understand the dynamics of it all. I’m good with her not playing the field the game before she pitches. Or after, depending on how the last game went. But there are other things involved. Rain outs. Shortened pool play. 3 pool play games into double elimination.

With a roster of 13, pool players are bracket players too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2013
4 pitchers is obscene. If you've got 4 pitchers who are getting anywhere close to an equal amount of time, you are doing them, and your team, a huge disservice. There simply aren't enough innings to go around to continue development. Two is ideal. Two and an "inning eater" is tolerable, but no one is knowingly signing up to be the inning eater.

DD was on a few teams with four pitchers. It was awesome! She was surrounded by a staff where she had to sink or swim. They were able to use matchups with pitchers strengths and always went deep in tourneys. That meant she still picked up at least 2-3 games every weekend. When they get to college they’ll have 5-6 pitchers so they’d better learn how to compete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi