How many players are too many?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
The OP’s daughter is 16U. But to answer your question at 14U my DD was one of four pitchers and getting about 25% of the innings. Later one pitcher switched to just infield and innings were divided among three. It was about 40-30-30. DD’s was one of the 30 and got more than enough circle time to develop. Most of the improvement comes from practice so they don’t need more than half the innings. The ones who claim they do just wanna see their kids pitch.

DD pitched for her 12u C team this year as one of two pitchers. During league nights (3-4 innings; double headers) it was never a problem. But for tournaments it sucked. If we couldn’t get a third (or even fourth) pitcher they were absolutely gassed if we were able to go deep over a couple days.

Now that we’re moving up to 14u B my view on having 4 in rotation has changed. I used to be a 3 max guy. But if you’re team is playing higher level and longer tournaments….4 is nice to have. DD loves pitching, but isn’t a kid who feels she has to pitch every single game. She’s fine sharing.

We’re trying out for a team who likes to have 4 pitchers on the roster. And the coach likes to “pitch by committee”. Pros and cons to that. But should mean that (if DD is offered a spot) she should get her share of time.

I’d think that if DD starts to exceed over the other pitchers than her percentage of time will increase. I’m fine with earned share if that’s the case.

Sep 3, 2015
I'd much rather she learn to pitch before she get to college. If she doesn't get innings now she won't be able to compete later. How many college pitchers do you think were getting 25% of the innings on their 14u teams? Get real.

I think you misinterpreted the post. Innings are not distributed evenly, there is always a #1, and so on. If you are the 4th pitcher on a 14u team that is not helping if you want to pitch in college. Get better, compete, get more innings. If that means moving teams where you will get more innings than so be it.

She HAS to learn how to pitch before expecting to pitch in college, or she won’t be pitching in college.

Work hard, have good mechanics, face good competition, learn and grow.

Move the ball, learn how to change speeds, locate, have a secondary pitch. These are the qualities needed at the next level.

My DD has an excellent rise and curve, and throws in the low 60s. At 18 Gold that’s not good enough against the best teams, she needed to develop her change to be more effective. Part of the journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2013
I think you misinterpreted the post. Innings are not distributed evenly, there is always a #1, and so on. If you are the 4th pitcher on a 14u team that is not helping if you want to pitch in college. Get better, compete, get more innings. If that means moving teams where you will get more innings than so be it.

She HAS to learn how to pitch before expecting to pitch in college, or she won’t be pitching in college.

Work hard, have good mechanics, face good competition, learn and grow.

Move the ball, learn how to change speeds, locate, have a secondary pitch. These are the qualities needed at the next level.

My DD has an excellent rise and curve, and throws in the low 60s. At 18 Gold that’s not good enough against the best teams, she needed to develop her change to be more effective. Part of the journey.

As I stated earlier DD began her travel career as the #3/4 pitcher on a 14U team. She could have stayed on her rec B team and gotten as many inning as she wanted. That would have meant B coaches, B teammates and B competition. Moving up to an A travel team she benefited from her x Elle the coaching, committed teammates and top notch competition.

Her situation was somewhat unique in that the program had their own pitching coach who was absolutely fantastic. The work ethic and skills she learned at 14U propelled from a rec player into a legit D1 prospect. Innings for the sake of innings won’t develop a pitcher. Different players will ex el in other environments. I’m just saying don’t immediately discount a situation that looks like too many girls at a girls position. There are other factors that can be more important than amount of playing time.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas

Tons of D1 players and very good 18U Gold players pitch like this that get the job done. Osterman pitches in the low 60's...seems to work for her too.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I'd much rather she learn to pitch before she get to college. If she doesn't get innings now she won't be able to compete later. How many college pitchers do you think were getting 25% of the innings on their 14u teams? Get real.

All depends on how many innings 25% adds up to. If it's a 4gg with 1 hour drop dead, then no, but your kid isn't going to pitch at a high level in college by playing in that kind of tournament. However, if she pitches 3 games deep into a 6 pool/dbl elimination, and those games are longer, or it's a week-long showcase/championship tournament playing full length games, the math changes, doesn't it?

Apr 26, 2019
The OP’s daughter is 16U. But to answer your question at 14U my DD was one of four pitchers and getting about 25% of the innings. Later one pitcher switched to just infield and innings were divided among three. It was about 40-30-30. DD’s was one of the 30 and got more than enough circle time to develop. Most of the improvement comes from practice so they don’t need more than half the innings. The ones who claim they do just wanna see their kids pitch.

Attachments

• tenor (18).gif
    tenor (18).gif
    424.2 KB · Views: 24
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
My DD really wants to return to her team. Non parent coach is leaving but she really likes the new non parent coach. Problem is old coach only carried 3 pitchers. New coach wants to carry 4. New coach also wants to carry 13-14 girls, so field time will be limited when she doesn’t pitch. Thoughts?
14U team. 15 rostered and 4 pitchers. We make it work just fine.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
4 is not odd.

13-14 roster average size for some and on the smaller size for calif.
13 to 14 is a food roster size for most teams. 10U need to learn they just don't get a spot. They have to earn it......that is why there are so many B and C teams.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812