How many of you refused to join 'the rec clique'?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
Sometimes details are important, sometimes they're not. Going to choose 'not' again on this one, as it relates somewhat to previous drama I also didn't feel like outlining. lol

Although I can be acutely aware of its presence, I don't do drama very well. I also don't like poor communicators, especially when the absence of clear communication gives the appearance of impropriety. However, when facing deadlines established by those on higher rungs of the decision-making ladder, you take the situation you've been handed and deal with that immediately...and then when/if time allows, examine the mistakes(?) which led you there in the first place.

To put it bluntly, although we all want the best for our future superstars :rolleyes:, I'm into letting talent, ability, and desire speak for themselves. And while I know full well (cliché alert) that life isn't 'fair' and have no problem teaching my child that the world is what it is and that each of our lives is what WE - not other people - make of it, I would like to trust that the people I'm entrusting my child to would at least make an honest (key word) effort to keep the process fair, even when making hard decisions.

That's my own fatal flaw, I'll admit.

My resumé: I'm a total team player. I support all the girls I see playing the game, could care less whose team they're on, what league they're in, how good they are. I'm hands-on in helping with all but one fundraiser each year (date conflict). I'm there for pre-season field prep. I still help with field prep for games. I sponsor the league. I support the umpires, because theirs is one of the most thankless jobs in the world (despite the incredible pay nowadays! lol). I'll often thank them for helping our girls learn the rules of the game. I acknowledge all the coaches (except the one jerk) and wish them the best.

I'm not saying all that to boast, nor am I looking for a pat on the back. I'm just one of those guys you can count on, even though I am not a coach.

That being said, I don't schmooze or politick when it comes to my child. Sure, had to do a little extra footwork this season (long story), but there was no gamesmanship involved on my end nor did I badmouth anyone in the process, despite knowing a little about what had gone on here. I didn't have all the facts, wasn't interested in hearing them all, and I certainly wasn't going to make any decisions based on hearsay (at least not at the time).

I don't gossip, and while it may be a part of many people's lives, I'm not into it. In short, no, you're not going to see me hanging out behind the snack bar gossiping with other parents or coaches or board members, nor am I going to be on the phone discussing other children or parents with anyone else. Maybe my sharing here on the forum is a form of gossip, but I choose to post anonymously, and never mention any names.

So, my purpose for writing is to get feedback from some of you on how/if/when you decided to stop being stubborn and join the 'in crowd' - whatever that means for rec sports - or to hear how others of you may have stuck to your guns and refused to play silly high school games.

About me: I'm extremely stubborn and have sort of built my brand in my business around being my own man. BUT, my life is no longer about just me...and that's the crux here. My wife says it's my ego and she could be right, but given the abundance of non-rec softball options in this area, do I really need to even think about becoming a schmoozer to garner better local opportunities for my little all-star, given that she's got 1, maybe 2 seasons left in rec ball?

Although I'm hard-headed, I am that 'do pretty much anything for his daughter' kind of guy, so I'm certainly willing to listen.

Sep 12, 2010
My advice and we have seen the rec ball, travel side. You and your daughter both are best to stay out of the politics of it all. Stay true to who you are and the athlete and person your daughter is. Nothing good comes of getting involved in all the BS that goes on. Cream rises to the top!

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
I read that and still dont know what you are referring to. Are you talking about getting your DD on a travel team, or playing time, by schmoozing with the right people?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't know what you are talking about either. Are you talking about schmoozing to get your DD more playing time or schmoozing to get your DD on the all-star team?

But, always go back to what you want your DD to learn. Do you want her playing time to be based on her hard work and ability, because Daddy helped her get it by schmoozing? Personally, every success my DDs had is THEIRS, not mine. I helped them pursue their goals. But ultimately, their accomplishments were their own. Their failures were their own.

Parents don't understand how little influence they have over their child's life. If your child plays travel ball on a good team, no amount of schmoozing is going to get her more playing time. She has to earn it.

Feb 24, 2010
Don't know what you are referring to, and I don't care either, but my advice is to keep your mouth shut unless you are cheering for your daughter and her team. Nothing good ever comes from schmoozing. If she's good enough to get playing time/play travel ball/all-star team/whatever she will need to do it on her own. And if things change by you schmoozing, not only will the other parents in the clique know what you are doing, but more importantly so will the players. If she gets those same things on her own, she will be respected for her ability to play and not your ability to play politics.

You have a very lucky and unique situation in that you seem to have never gone the route that you're thinking of going down. Don't do it as you will most likely regret it in the future.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Not sure I understand what your trying to get at either. I will offer you some info on a similar situation. My DD has played rec ball for several years. I am divorced from her mother and have since remarried. My ex is one of those people who has to be in the middle of everything. She even uses the "i'm looking out for our daughter" excuse quite frequently. I have coached at every level of softball, prior to my daughter even being born. So I know who is full of it and who is not. I've found that no matter what I do, you will never avoid the politics involved. I sit away from everyone during games. If asked from a coach, will help during practices. (even though I try to avoid it). I work individually with my daughter as her PC. I ALWAYS address her coaches with respect. What I have found is that I will always be associated with my ex and her reputation. My name is brought up in conversations with people I wouldn't know, if I ran into them at the grocery store. Some things are just a part of the game that will never go away. If I could offer you any advice, it would be to keep to yourself. Talk as positively about ALL of the kids as you can. Be respectful of the adults who are putting in the time it takes to run the team. Your DD hears everything you say. Teach your DD to work hard and let her play speak for herself. If the situation is to bad, look to go somewhere else and play. Good luck to you and your DD.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles