How many of you forgo the bucket?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I use the smaller bucket found at Home Depot or Lowes which are not as high as the standard ball bucket. I always use my right throwing hand, thumb in fist between my legs as extra protection, especially when I occasionally ditch the bucket to get lower and become a better target.

With that said, I'm not sure that it really matters too much because the vast majority of pitches caught will be with her team catchers not on buckets at practice, pregame warmups, and during games and in between innings. The ratio of no bucket to bucket is probably 4-1

Ah yes, the old thumb in fist between legs to protect the nuts trick. Know it well.

Feb 18, 2014
I use a shorter than standard bucket with a butt cheek contoured hard plastic seat. Both of which came from Pep Boys. So far most of the abuse has been confined to my shins and feet.

Dec 20, 2012
11.jpg

I'm like alot of you, my knees couldn't handle it. So my butt has been attached to a bucket for the last 11 years. She is at college now but I still keep the bucket full of balls and my glove just in case. lol

I like this bucket, it has the swivel lid and a couple of little pouches for tape and such.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Short bucket, side saddle and occasionally put on the shin guards/mask on uneven ground. I also use the soccer skills to trap from time to time.

Nov 29, 2009
I used to squat, but it was too hard on my knees. Also caught a couple of bad hops to the face, so I use a bucket now. DD's knocked me off it a couple of times, but she and the PC get a good laugh out of it, so it's all good.

That reminds me of a little one I had a long time ago. I would always tell her to throw the ball like she was trying to knock her mom off of the bucket. We were doing a group session and she comes running up to me grinning from ear to ear as proud as could be. Then she blurts out "I knocked my mom off of the bucket!!" To my surprise I turn to see mom picking herself up off the ground.

Turns out the little one threw a really high and wide pitch. Mom reached for it and lost her balance as she caught the ball. There was just enough velocity on the ball to finish tipping her over. Everyone got a good laugh out of it and the little one was just beaming. Those are the things that make working with kids so much fun.

May 10, 2013
USA
I use a bucket when we are practicing on our own. But if it is between innings at a game I will squat, at team practices we have like 3 catchers so no need for bucket at practice.

Jan 23, 2014
The cheap milk crate copy cats from the stores didn't hold up too well. But Rubbermaid makes a great step stool that is about 12" tall that I swear by. It also has rubber feet if you are indoor and don't want to slide around. I find it is the perfect help for someone whose knees are getting older :(

I use a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket or the Rubbermaid step stool.

May 5, 2014
Pacific Northwest
I have three DD's that all pitch, pretty much catch every day of the week. I wouldn't make it without my bucket. When it gets cold outside I hold the bottom up to a propane heater to warm it up, it stays warm for a pretty long time if you don't have to chase down a passed ball. When they start learning to throw a drop ball I will put the shin guards on if i'm tired from work.

Jan 4, 2015
Tacoma, wa
I squat always. On a bucket my reflexes aren't as sharp so I get hurt more. My dad never used a bucket in all of the years he caught for me either. My husband doesn't usually use a bucket when he catches, but will take it sometimes if offered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32