How hot is too hot?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Going to be over 100 here for the foreseeable future. Even taking the kids to the field in the morning to hit/field is almost too much for this old man 😂

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
So, we're down in Georgia for the Legacy event when what happens to my daughter in the circle? Wham!!! Down goes Frazier. Down goes Frazier (in my best Howard Cossell voice.)

It was 95° and very humid today, but she didn't hydrate properly yesterday. And, while she had a lot of water today, she really needed her electrolytes replaced with some Gatorade or Pedialyte. A little IV at the ER, and she's good to go. Needless to say, she's drinking like a fish tonight.

May 29, 2015
So, we're down in Georgia for the Legacy event when what happens to my daughter in the circle? Wham!!! Down goes Frazier. Down goes Frazier (in my best Howard Cossell voice.)

It was 95° and very humid today, but she didn't hydrate properly yesterday. And, while she had a lot of water today, she really needed her electrolytes replaced with some Gatorade or Pedialyte. A little IV at the ER, and she's good to go. Needless to say, she's drinking like a fish tonight.

Many people miss the importance of pre-hydrating. "Pre-hydrate and re-hydrate so you don't dehydrate."

I know Gatorade takes its lumps, and I'm one who gives them. Be careful hydrating/rehydrating with Gatorade. While it does contain the needed electrolytes, it also contains lots of sugar. This is fine for a world class athlete who is burning thousands and thousands of calories per day, but not so much for kids playing baseball and softball.

At risk of this sounding like a shill ... I cannot consume artificial sweeteners, so even the 'Zero' versions of things are bad news for me. I recently found two things that I can drink, enjoy drinking, and see benefits from:
  • Body Armor Lyte ... the regular is 90 calories in a 16 oz. bottle while the Lytes are only 20 calories. The key for me ... these drinks are coconut water based, not sugar based. Coconut water provides the electrolytes and flavor needed to make these a go-to.
  • Liquid IVs ... expensive but worth it. They claim it has 3 times the electrolytes of sport drinks and helps your body absorb the water faster. I don't know if that's true, but drinking these in moderation does help me on long hot days.
Whichever it is, I only mix in one for every several bottles of water. During a 4-day varsity baseball tournament (14 games, avg. 2 hours each) in New Orleans' recent record breaking temperatures, I was drinking a half-gallon of water when on the bases, and 3/4 + of a gallon behind the plate. Between games I would alternate between a Body Armor Lyte and a Liquid IV.

It was hot, I was miserable, but I never got dehydrated (or over hydrated, for that matter).

Dec 19, 2021
Last year for Zoom into June, California wouldnt let out of state visitors in yet, so they sent a bunch of teams to Scottsdale. Did I mention June? Well its a dry heat, but 113 still sucks. I thought the teams from Seattle and Portland might lose a few players but they did OK. We did have to let an ump cool down for a bit at one point.

As-is I am sitting at a practice and it was 104 when they started.

Aug 9, 2021
Anything over 80 should be cancelled in my opinion. But we regularly play when it is over 90 or 100 in NorCal, Central Cal, Northern Nevada, and Southern Nevada. l think last year's worst was 108 in central California. Thought I was going to die and I wasn't even playing.

It sucks. Drink lots of water. Stay in the shade.

Not going to lie...the heat will play a role in whatever college my DD decides to go to.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Air quality from fires has shut down more games I can remember than heat has.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi