How far should you take it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Screwball, when you give lessons are you trying to better YOUR students? Are you doing it for you or them, because it's YOUR reputation on the line. So that could be labeled as selfish too.*

I have a great relationship with the HS coach, super nice guy but just a little rough around the edges.*

He asked my DD the summer before her freshman year to pitch for the HS in their summer league. He also asked if I would help him with the new girls entering HS. You have to remember I've had 90% of these girls since 6-8 YO, I know what makes them tick, and where they can best serve the team.*

Remember HE asked me 4 years ago, until he says other wise I'm still considering that contract open.*

Selfish? If putting my daughter in the best situation, and helping her team get in the best situation then I'm guilty. That's our last name on that jersey, that's our last name in the paper after every game..................I offer my advice, he can take it or leave it.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Screwball, when you give lessons are you trying to better YOUR students? Are you doing it for you or them, because it's YOUR reputation on the line. So that could be labeled as selfish too.*

I have a great relationship with the HS coach, super nice guy but just a little rough around the edges.*

He asked my DD the summer before her freshman year to pitch for the HS in their summer league. He also asked if I would help him with the new girls entering HS. You have to remember I've had 90% of these girls since 6-8 YO, I know what makes them tick, and where they can best serve the team.*

Remember HE asked me 4 years ago, until he says other wise I'm still considering that contract open.*

Selfish? If putting my daughter in the best situation, and helping her team get in the best situation then I'm guilty. That's our last name on that jersey, that's our last name in the paper after every game..................I offer my advice, he can take it or leave it.

Would your DD be any less successful in SB or as an adult if she didn't have her name on the back of her uniform or in the paper?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Would your DD be any less successful in SB or as an adult if she didn't have her name on the back of her uniform or in the paper?

What about having her name on the report card, should she just give 50% there too, or 100%............100% of the time in life?

GM, softball to her is as important as it is to you and I ( or you and I wouldn't waste our time on this forum ) so yes, when she slides that jersey on that is her representing herself ( and this nutty sports family ) and a reminder of all the hours, months, years of sacrifice to get where she is now. Wouldn't you want your DD to have positive articles in the paper, as oppose to negative. Mine looks forward to them after every game she pitches, and if that makes her happy.............so am I.

Oct 19, 2009
A dad (friend of mine) coached his daughters HS team during the summer and finished 2nd in NSA called World Tournament in TN.
HS coach advised he had a home life and softball was not his life, no summer practice and not that many during school ball. Team won only about half the games and did not make playoffs.

He ran into a brick wall trying to make things better for the kids, he advised that the good old boy system was at work between coach and principal and his and other complaints fell on deaf ears.

I wonder if his kid will suffer because of his complaints?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Perhaps, the girls could make an appointment and each present a part of their complaint to the AD, but I repeat - it will do no good for you to go.

If that had happened at my boy's HS, they would have been ostracized forever and even by various classroom teachers.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
I've been a pitching instructor for many years for girls from dozens of different schools. Pretty much every parent of every kid I've taught has a complaint or 50 about their kid's school coach. Some have been vocal about it, some haven't, but none have ever been able to do anything about it. I've been an assistant coach at a high school and I didn't have any pull over the AD either. Most of the time they just don't care.

If it's that bad, ask your kid if she wants to keep playing HS ball and respect her decision if the answer is no. If she's serious about softball, tournament ball is a thousand times more important anyway.

Dec 9, 2011
I would say let the players handle it (that is if the players actually have a problem) These young ladies need to learn to stand on there own and mom and dad stay out. What will they do when they go to college. Mom and Dad don't like something the coach is doing so lets go to the AD of the college and say hey so and so has coached TB so let him coach the college team. I say stay out of it mom and dad and let your daughter grow up. Usually these things happen because mom and dad are not happy about playing time or position.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
This just verifies that the HS my DD plays for is in an alternate universe. There is a team captain (senior) that is routinely disrespectful to the coach in front of the team and has asked several times for the coach to cancel practice because she has other things - like getting fitted for her prom dress - that is more important since "we're losing anyway". I am just glad that we only have one more week left in the season and that DD as a freshman got a lot of time in the circle.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I would say let the players handle it (that is if the players actually have a problem) These young ladies need to learn to stand on there own and mom and dad stay out. What will they do when they go to college. Mom and Dad don't like something the coach is doing so lets go to the AD of the college and say hey so and so has coached TB so let him coach the college team. I say stay out of it mom and dad and let your daughter grow up. Usually these things happen because mom and dad are not happy about playing time or position.

I understand what you are implying, but most in HS are still considered children until they reach 18 years old. It's my job and pleasure as a parent to guide and continue to teach them how to handle situations. I enforce to mine that you can catch more bee's with honey than vinegar, use you mind and make a plan of approach to get what you need or the team needs. And yes, she does not have the worldly experiences I do ( yet ), so if I feel she can't pull it off, I'll open my jar of honey and show her the path for her next time.

But I'll go on record, my magic would stop at the coach if it didn't work, going to the AD is just asking for too much attention and trouble.

Dec 9, 2011
I understand what you are implying, but most in HS are still considered children until they reach 18 years old. It's my job and pleasure as a parent to guide and continue to teach them how to handle situations. I enforce to mine that you can catch more bee's with honey than vinegar, use you mind and make a plan of approach to get what you need or the team needs. And yes, she does not have the worldly experiences I do ( yet ), so if I feel she can't pull it off, I'll open my jar of honey and show her the path for her next time.

But I'll go on record, my magic would stop at the coach if it didn't work, going to the AD is just asking for too much attention and trouble.

I understand your point but one reason why we see so many young ladies coming into college that can't handle themselves when mom and dad arn't around. They don't know how to talk to people or handle situations on there own. The younger you can let them make decision, right or wrong, better they will handle the world when they leave. Now of course I'm not talking about soemthing that could harm them but a problem with a coach, another player, ect... then let them handle it. Let them talk to the coach. Let them stand on there own two feet and let them deal with the outcome of there decision.... being right or wrong..... I agree you can guide but don't fight the battle, don't do the talking.... She will surprise you on how well she can handle things, esp. after she has done it several times. (Just my opinion... raised 3 girls and a boy)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole