How does guesting work? 12u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 12, 2021
Morristown, NJ
How does guesting work? Can you be on a team and guest for a team or do you have to get released from your team in order to guest? Where is the best place to look for teams needing players? (NJ/NY/PA)

May 6, 2015
honestly, have never guested much, but I have never seen or heard of officials at a tournament checking rosters either. not certain it is proper, but if you are invited, they find a jersey for you, and you show up and play (hopefully).

if you are interested in guesting and want to find opportunities, social media can sometimes drum up interest, but be careful. also, there are a few other boards out there for things like guest opportunities, tryouts, etc.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
DD has pickup a couple times. Around here you search FB for the different SB pages. You can either be passive and look for teams advertising and reach out to them, or you can put it out there and see who contacts you.

Usually, the team you pickup with will have to add your player to their roster for the tournament. Depending on the sanctioning org, your current team may have to give them permission to add her, but I'm not sure of that. We always let current team know what we were doing before we agreed to pickup. Ask the coach your picking up with how it works for them before you commit.

For the player it is a little scary the 1st time, but we have been very selective who we have pickup with and it has always been a good experience. Just be cautious and have fun.

Jul 14, 2018
We’re in the same area, Facebook is a good place to start. Search for groups like:

New Jersey Fastpitch Softball Teams
PA/NJ/DE/MD Fastpitch Connection
New York Travel Softball Teams
Pennsylvania Fastpitch Softball Teams

Also, definitely check out http://www.fastpitchonline.net/forum/index.php

They have a ton of posts for tryouts, guest opportunities, etc.

Guest players are very common in our area, no need to mess with rosters to pick up in local tournaments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 6, 2015
Usually, the team you pickup with will have to add your player to their roster for the tournament. Depending on the sanctioning org, your current team may have to give them permission to add her, but I'm not sure of that. We always let current team know what we were doing before we agreed to pickup. Ask the coach your picking up with how it works for them before you commit.

just curious, does anyone have experience with anyone checking your roster and players in a tournament? never seen it happen, I imagine at some level it will, but curious as to what it looks like?

Oct 4, 2018
To add to the above, many coaches use this philosophy and I believe strongly in it when my DD guests as well as when we have others guest with us.

1) Guest player bats last
2) Guest player added only to fill an urgent need
3) Guest player doesn't take significant reps away from paying, roster players

... and with that said, we only guest if it's going to help my DD. Perhaps they really need pitching and she'll get to pitch 2 games. Perhaps some reps in OF or 1B are exactly the development she needs. Or perhaps it's her best friend's team and she'll just have a blast being in the dugout with her all day.

Because spending the day at the field to play two innings of RF and bat three times just isn't fun for anyone.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Having your dd play as a guest player can be both good and bad experiences for her and your family. My dd was often asked to be a guest player. We have seen the good and bad. For example, on one team, she was going to be asked to pitch on a team that was supposed to be short on pitching for the weekend. It was not. That made for some uncomfortable situations and especially when my dd was asked to pitch the championship game over the team's #1. My dd was asked to be a guest player for a team that was older. What a great experience. My dd pitched, played CF and hit 3rd despite being a lot younger. She ended up playing on that team as a permanent guest player and we were welcomed with open arms. Eventually, my dd ended up playing on that team. I have posted this before but on the day my dd gets married, I expect that entire team to show up. The players on that team are still that close. My dd is still close with that coach. So, I guess what I am saying is that each situation is different. Being rostered for local tournaments is not the same as being rostered for nationals. You might want to check on that.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd