How do you teach a new release point?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
My daughter is always releasing at the front 1/3 of her back hip and I would like to try and get her to start releasing sooner. I'm hoping that might increase the spin on her pitch. She gets pretty good 6-12 spin most of the time but it doesn't seem to spin as tight as it could. I say it's not tight because occasionally some pitches really come in humming like a saw blade. I don't know how to help her replicate those but would like to. She uses a 4 seam grip and I have Bill's dvd's but I don't know any good ways to help her let go sooner or spin it sharper. We are talking about a 12 year old.

Any drills / thoughts /help? :confused: Thanks

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
"One factor that helps with sharper break is a shorter/sharper release. Many pitchers will carry the ball in their hand too long, or take too long to get the ball out. If the release is short start to finish, the ball will break faster. In the case of a drop it will go from being a gentle decline to more like a waterfall."

I found this nugget by Ken while searching on drops and I'm wondering how to convey that to a daughter. Any ideas?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Have you viewed the sticky called model pitchers? You can clearly see Finch's release.

I can honestly say that no on has ever asked me "where the release point is at the hip." Mine is very close to the front hip and that is what I teach. I suppose my drills could be used to practice your DD's release, but I imagine that she is not interested in changing her release to the back hip. I practice that walking drill, where you step and windmill and snap the ball into your own glove. I think I have it on YouTube.

Apr 27, 2009
I guess I forgot to clearly state that the release is naturally early in the drop, that it would not be for the fastball. Sorry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott