How Do You Score This Play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2012
When I was growing up it upset me that coaches always said "score on a passed ball" or something like that. Being a catcher, wild pitch seemed a little more accurate to me. I would have caught it if extraordinary effort wasn't required. My definition of ordinary effort could be a little skewed as well. Coaching 10 yr olds now there are some swinging third strikes that are physically impossible to catch. I'm with greenmonsters haha

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Passed balls are "generally" just catcher mistakes. Tipping off the glove, not squeezing the catch, etc.*

Wild pitches are in the dirt, over the head, way out of the zone.*

And yes, to a catchers dad there are NO passed balls. Heaven forbid little Sally can't hold on to that round object. :)

(a) The official scorer shall charge a pitcher with a wild pitch when a legally delivered ball is so high, so wide or so low that the catcher does not stop and control the ball by ordinary effort, thereby permitting a runner or runners to advance. The official scorer shall charge a pitcher with a wild pitch when a legally delivered ball touches the ground or home plate before reaching the catcher and is not handled by the catcher, thereby permitting a runner or runners to advance. When the third strike is a wild pitch, permitting the batter to reach first base, the official scorer shall score a strikeout and a wild pitch.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Good examples of PB and WP as noted. And FWIW, I expect my C to block the ones in dirt and her goal is no SB, no PB AND no WP. When the parent of DD P complains that the C should've stopped a ball from getting by, I smile and note that it wouldn't have been a problem had DD P simply thrown the ball in the vicinity of the target.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Once a catcher can throw 100% of the time for a put out stolen base, that's when I will listen to them about a pitcher throwing 50 times the amount of the catcher, missing the catcher's comfort zone a few inches. A good catcher sets up the target, a great catcher can adjust to a hanging ball or one that breaks more than usual.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Once a catcher can throw 100% of the time for a put out stolen base, that's when I will listen to them about a pitcher throwing 50 times the amount of the catcher, missing the catcher's comfort zone a few inches. A good catcher sets up the target, a great catcher can adjust to a hanging ball or one that breaks more than usual.

I draw the line at jumping and diving!

May 4, 2012
Long Island
If they make it safely, I record it as D3 (drop third) and E2 or E3 (error catcher or error first). If they get out, I record it as K 2-3 (strikeout; catcher to first).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06