how do you fix bat drag,looking for a hitting coach in chattanooga,tn

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2012
my daughter has batdrag and leans in when she hits,does anybody have any drills for this,
i looking for a good hitting coach near chattanooga,tn also.

Oct 19, 2009
I remembered where some one posted this link before, Chris O'leary IMO does a good job talking about bat drag. See link.

Bat Drag 101

Check PM for some hitting coaches in the Chatanooga area.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Peppers ... the link you posted contains a ‘before’ and ‘after’ swing. That ‘after’ swing is basically the deltoid drill. I believe people are interested in a real fix to 'bat drag'.

People should ask themselves the following question ... What is “bat drag”?

The question shouldn’t confuse anyone.

People should refuse to allow ‘bat drag’ to be a mystery to them.

Ask yourself why the checkpoint of having the rear elbow ahead of the hands, at the RVP connection point position, is referred to as ‘bat drag’.

It’s not a trick question. Why is it called ‘bat drag’?

What an interesting name … “bat drag”. Why not call it a different name? .... Why not call it “Bad Position #1”. Do you suppose that the name “bat drag” was simply made up? .... Or could it be that the name 'bat drag' actually was descriptive of the actual issue?

Here’s a hint … the term ‘bat drag’ has to do with both the ‘bat’ and ‘drag’. In fact, it has to do with the ‘action’ of ‘dragging’ the ‘bat barrel’ … and hence the name ‘bat drag’ … which simply stands for a ‘bat barrel being dragged’.

Yes, ‘bat drag’ is the ‘dragging’ of the ‘bat barrel’. The name “bat drag” wasn’t made up out of thin air … the name itself actually spells out the issue.

How clever ... It was actually given a name that was descriptive of the problem. Who would think of doing that? Better yet … who would be confused by that?

The joke of course is to take a name, that is completely descriptive of the problem, and convince people that it is a mystery.

Sorry … if you were looking for a complicated answer … you won’t find it in this post.

You can wait until the “RVP connection point position” to detect severe cases of ‘bat drag’, or you can detect the issue earlier … you simply need to look at the barrel path … and if you know to look at the barrel path, and if you know the relationship between ‘hand pressure’ and the ‘barrel path’, … then you know that ‘hand pressure’ can influence the ‘barrel path’ … which in turn influences whether or not the “bat” barrel is being “dragged” … as in “bat drag”.

Yes … it’s true. There is a relationship between the “hands” and what happens to the “bat barrel”. Why that is a surprise to anyone … I don’t know.

So what is the secret to curing ‘bat drag’?

The secret is in the hands. Believe it or not … but you actually have control over the object in your hands. Yes it’s true. Don’t let people tell you differently.

You have two main physical contacts to your environment during the swing … you have the feet in contact with the ground … and you have the hands in contact with the bat barrel. That’s it … just those two main contacts. You need to learn to make the best use of those two contacts … because it’s all you’ve got ….. and IMO, ignoring one of those contacts, the hands, is not a great solution for someone suffering with a ‘bat drag’ issue … … … and IMO it is why those that ignore the hands, or don’t know how to use the hands, so often struggle to solve ‘bat drag’ issues.

Have you ever heard the phrase … the “secret is in the dirt”? It has to do with the importance of the contact between the “feet” and the “ground”.

When it comes to “bat drag” … the “secret is in the hands”.

The secret has to do with the importance of the contact between the “hands” and the “bat”.

Oh no!!!! … It can’t be that simple. Can it? Instead, some people create a phobia about using the hands. That way the problem will persist, …. and people will remain in the dark while perpetuating their search for a solution.

I read that many many many kids suffer from 'bat drag'. I read that it is a common problem.

Here is data point that I've observed ... I've seen many HI trained swings, ... and 'bat drag' is virtually absent from all of them. Why is it that a teaching methodology that advocates 'hand usage' is void of 'bat drag' if 'bat drag' is such a common problem? Could the answer simply be to make effective use of the hands?

If you have an instructor that has struggled to solve ‘bat drag’ with his students, and at the same time has a phobia against the ‘hands’ … then run, don’t walk, but run to the nearest exit.

The secret ....

Shhhh ..... The secret is in the hands .... But let’s keep it a secret ... some people haven’t made enough money yet.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2012
When the elbow is in the slot position or attack position,Top hand palm faces pitcher, Bottom hand palm faces catcher. Resisting top palm of hand facing up to the sky and bottom palm of hand facing down to the ground as long as possible is a key to a high level swing pattern
Peppers ... the link you posted contains a ‘before’ and ‘after’ swing. That ‘after’ swing is basically the deltoid drill. I believe people are interested in a real fix to 'bat drag'.

People should ask themselves the following question ... What is “bat drag”?

The question shouldn’t confuse anyone.

People should refuse to allow ‘bat drag’ to be a mystery to them.

Ask yourself why the checkpoint of having the rear elbow ahead of the hands, at the RVP connection point position, is referred to as ‘bat drag’.

It’s not a trick question. Why is it called ‘bat drag’?

What an interesting name … “bat drag”. Why not call it a different name? .... Why not call it “Bad Position #1”. Do you suppose that the name “bat drag” was simply made up? .... Or could it be that the name 'bat drag' actually was descriptive of the actual issue?

Here’s a hint … the term ‘bat drag’ has to do with both the ‘bat’ and ‘drag’. In fact, it has to do with the ‘action’ of ‘dragging’ the ‘bat barrel’ … and hence the name ‘bat drag’ … which simply stands for a ‘bat barrel being dragged’.

Yes, ‘bat drag’ is the ‘dragging’ of the ‘bat barrel’. The name “bat drag” wasn’t made up out of thin air … the name itself actually spells out the issue.

How clever ... It was actually given a name that was descriptive of the problem. Who would think of doing that? Better yet … who would be confused by that?

The joke of course is to take a name, that is completely descriptive of the problem, and convince people that it is a mystery.

Sorry … if you were looking for a complicated answer … you won’t find it in this post.

You can wait until the “RVP connection point position” to detect severe cases of ‘bat drag’, or you can detect the issue earlier … you simply need to look at the barrel path … and if you know to look at the barrel path, and if you know the relationship between ‘hand pressure’ and the ‘barrel path’, … then you know that ‘hand pressure’ can influence the ‘barrel path’ … which in turn influences whether or not the “bat” barrel is being “dragged” … as in “bat drag”.

Yes … it’s true. There is a relationship between the “hands” and what happens to the “bat barrel”. Why that is a surprise to anyone … I don’t know.

So what is the secret to curing ‘bat drag’?

The secret is in the hands. Believe it or not … but you actually have control over the object in your hands. Yes it’s true. Don’t let people tell you differently.

You have two main physical contacts to your environment during the swing … you have the feet in contact with the ground … and you have the hands in contact with the bat barrel. That’s it … just those two main contacts. You need to learn to make the best use of those two contacts … because it’s all you’ve got ….. and IMO, ignoring one of those contacts, the hands, is not a great solution for someone suffering with a ‘bat drag’ issue … … … and IMO it is why those that ignore the hands, or don’t know how to use the hands, so often struggle to solve ‘bat drag’ issues.

Have you ever heard the phrase … the “secret is in the dirt”? It has to do with the importance of the contact between the “feet” and the “ground”.

When it comes to “bat drag” … the “secret is in the hands”.

The secret has to do with the importance of the contact between the “hands” and the “bat”.

Oh no!!!! … It can’t be that simple. Can it? Instead, some people create a phobia about using the hands. That way the problem will persist, …. and people will remain in the dark while perpetuating their search for a solution.

I read that many many many kids suffer from 'bat drag'. I read that it is a common problem.

Here is data point that I've observed ... I've seen many HI trained swings, ... and 'bat drag' is virtually absent from all of them. Why is it that a teaching methodology that advocates 'hand usage' is void of 'bat drag' if 'bat drag' is such a common problem? Could the answer simply be to make effective use of the hands?

If you have an instructor that has struggled to solve ‘bat drag’ with his students, and at the same time has a phobia against the ‘hands’ … then run, don’t walk, but run to the nearest exit.

The secret ....

Shhhh ..... The secret is in the hands .... But let’s keep it a secret ... some people haven’t made enough money yet.

Oct 10, 2011
I remembered where some one posted this link before, Chris O'leary IMO does a good job talking about bat drag. See link.

Bat Drag 101

Check PM for some hitting coaches in the Chatanooga area.
I bought the ebook and found it helpful. He goes into more details on drills that help the player feel and understand what and why they are changing their swing especially if it is currently successful. He states his sons swing is in progress but is much improved by doing it this way. I mentioned in another post that it is just an easy to follow article that has seemed to help me and my DD but great advice can be found for free here and on other sites.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
HittingScience,
Good info and it's the same position C.Yeager Likes the hitters to be in. This hitting position never made sense to me untill I read anotheR thread on this exact position. If done correctly this position of palm facing pitcher makes for a short swing to the ball and long through the hitting zone.FFS also great info and thanks for giving away the secret and all for FREE.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
When the elbow is in the slot position or attack position,Top hand palm faces pitcher, Bottom hand palm faces catcher. Resisting top palm of hand facing up to the sky and bottom palm of hand facing down to the ground as long as possible is a key to a high level swing pattern

Which is pretty much what we don't see with those that drag the barrel.

One recent example ....

fysdu.gif

IMO the hitter above got into this position in the last frame shown above, because she had a mindset of using her body to pull along the length of the barrel.

Sep 18, 2012
I think her mindset was to get on plane with the ball. This is very common. A tilt at the hip joint will help her get on plane with the ball, while keeping the bat very light and over her hands. I know you all have heard this before, but I am convinced this messaging is correct. I don't call it short to the ball. I call it getting ready to launch a powerful swing at the ball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1