How do you deal with this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
We have two parents who are becoming disruptive. What would you do?

Parent A - Feels he "knows" everything and everyone and is happy to tell us all. He also misses more practices than any family. It has recently come to my attention that halfway through the Spring 2013 season he is prone to open his mouth and say things that directly or indirectly single out other players as performing poorly during games. He also likes to openly question why I make game time decisions the way I do. His latest was escapade was to call me on his way home from practice (with his DD in the car listening) and basically tell me in a nice way that I am not a good coach and confuse and frustrate his DD. I was as polite as I could be, answered his questions and thanked him for his input. I then told him it was not our goal to confuse anyone. I also mentioned that I felt this could be happening b/c of how much practice his DD was missing and that in my Code of Conduct he signed it states that you get in what you put in which means Practices are Mandatory.

Parent B - Feels he know everything as well but is less likely to openly chastise another family's player. However behind your back he might with whom he feels is the right Dad. He has started to openly express his anger and frustration with his own DD through the fence-line during games. He has now gone as far as pulling her aside after games and getting onto her. All of this is making her cry more often and leading to her being less engaged mentally. Despite all of this it is not my child and since he is not violent in anyway I have stayed out of it despite not wanting to.

These two have seemed to become good friends at all events. All this info has come to me from 4 families on the team that never have issues with. Usually I do not place much stock on one singular issue I am told about. But when there are many expressed concerns from multiple sources it seems more like a trend. I am interested in other coaches opinions. Keep in mind that I am very into commitment. I ask for 1 year's commitment in an effort to develop unity among the players. Therefore I usually let this type stuff work itself out and deal with it when the summer is over via cuts or family meetings to address it. My thinking has been that it is never the kids fault (age 10) and therefore I remain committed to the player which is why I complete the season before taking action. At this point I am open to input on polite yet firm ways to deal with this.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Things like THIS don't work themselves out...they escalate. One one one is a good option. Look her dad in the eye and reiterate your policies as to practices, comittment levels, and parent conduct etc...
If he doesn't like it he can go...(no refunds) :)

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Last year when we encountered this and it led to disaster only because I engaged it and did one on one's. Apparently you cannot explain or discuss things rationally with those who only see their side. (WHO KNEW? LOL) Now it I only have the two instead of four like last year so I am considering a different path. Letting the good parents know in one on one conversations that we are aware of the complainers and in an effort to keep the team together for a little bit longer we will manage it closely and when the right time arises we will remove the issues. After all the good parents are the ones who are telling me this and are already avoiding them both where possible.

Dec 16, 2012
I can tell you with a pretty fair amount of certainty that the parent that makes his DD cry after games and continually does it won't have a girl playing for very long. Talk about sucking the fun out of the game.

The first big mouth you described is a different story. I agree with the suggestion of getting your coaches together and having a meeting with this clown. I would let him know that this behavior will not be tolerated and if he is not willing to tone it down I would show have to ask him not to come back.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Last year when we encountered this and it led to disaster only because I engaged it and did one on one's. Apparently you cannot explain or discuss things rationally with those who only see their side. (WHO KNEW? LOL) Now it I only have the two instead of four like last year so I am considering a different path. Letting the good parents know in one on one conversations that we are aware of the complainers and in an effort to keep the team together for a little bit longer we will manage it closely and when the right time arises we will remove the issues. After all the good parents are the ones who are telling me this and are already avoiding them both where possible.

Ah the fun part of coaching...

I call this the "Time to be a #@*(#".

Put your thoughts together and come right out and tell them individually (privately of course) the things that are interfering with your ability to coach the team and developing the players. What you wrote in the original post would work. Since you are initiating this it is not a conversation or a discussion - this is you telling them that you will not put up with it.

Lay out the options - it can either stop, they can go watch the games from the deep left field fence where they can complain all they want out of earshot, they can drop their daughters off and not be here or they can punish their kids and leave the team. Whatever option they decide, if it happens again then the only remaining options are they can drop their daughters off and not be here or they can punish their kids and leave the team or or if it is bad enough you will just tell them they are no longer welcome.

I really don't care if some parent I don't respect anyway doesn't like me. And there is always another player. In all the time I have coached I have NEVER regretted letting a problem go away but I have regretted letting a problem stay. And that is why the problems don't get to stay any more. It is also why I never have issues finding players - people know this and they want to come play for our teams. It is a major part of our reputation.

It is also why there is a couple of teams locally around which have become dumping grounds to all the major issues.

Quick Edit: Parent A would be gone from my team or on a BIG time short leash. You don't get to verbally disparage individual players on the team in front of their parents or in front of the players. Parent B would be told "You are ruining your daughters confidence to play. It has to stop."

Last edited:

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
@ Marriad...Evenif we are at 9 players b/c I refused to accept families with problems and these two slipped through the cracks of recruitment? I am left with having this meeting and having 7 players not play the last 4 events of our season. We are in a highly congested area for TB and recruiting is tough. Parents have the choice here. Last year 4 families got to work me over and I suffered through it. This April (and it always happen in April) i only have two. Next year I am working towards only having one and then so on and so forth....

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
BTW Thank everyone. This helping me vent and find a proper answer as well. I worry sometimes I we get tunnel vision and do not handle certain things in the best way if we do not seek advice.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
@ Marriad...Evenif we are at 9 players b/c I refused to accept families with problems and these two slipped through the cracks of recruitment? I am left with having this meeting and having 7 players not play the last 4 events of our season. We are in a highly congested area for TB and recruiting is tough. Parents have the choice here. Last year 4 families got to work me over and I suffered through it. This April (and it always happen in April) i only have two. Next year I am working towards only having one and then so on and so forth....

I'd be hunting for guest players, keeping track of teams who may be folding or are just not playing the same events you are, discussing options for additional players with parents, etc. Worth looking at the age group down as well for their star players who would love an opportunity to play 'up' for a weekend. There is always a player out there.

If you believe the '7' are staying for next season you may be risking this by keeping the '1' or '2'. I've made the mistake of thinking 'Just need to get to the end of the season' before and the damage just kept getting worse and worse.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish