How do you "break up" with a coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
There is a very good player in our area who has been on multiple teams over the years, but it had nothing to do with the player and everything to do with her dad being an over the top psycho softball dad who would wear out his welcome.

This is the situation, only it's the mom. The player is talented and was at our tryouts in the fall. Based on talent, she should have made our team. But we decided to not offer her a spot based on what we know.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Be that crazy mom and go vacuum your front lawn !

I saw on the new post "How to break up with a coach by thatcrazymom"

Got my hopes up it would be entertaining lol.

Be honest with the coach as if they are playing B and not A showcases then they know they are not a showcase team and don't fit your DD goals. They cant be offended by what they acknowledge they are not.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Slightly off topic, but I wonder how the forum feels about "team hoppers" and their recruitment chances? I know a person that has played for 5 different organizations in 5 years. And I am not talking about as a pick up player. If you include those it would easily be over 10 teams in 5 years. Do college coaches look at that?

Ive had many college coaches tell me and my staff when asked this question--if a player cant stay with one team during their HS years they need a good reason when asked like-I moved to a showcase team (1 move) or my team folded and I moved to a showcase team (1 move). Anything other than that is a red flag of a potential player or parent problem and a risk to a program.

Mar 26, 2013
I know a player that's now on her 7th team in 8 years due to a combination of her and her dad. However, they've all been strong teams in top orgs (e.g. CA, FC, OCBB). She's committed 2 years ago to a B1G school...

Jan 26, 2015
NE Kansas
When my DD changed from a 16A non-showcase to a 16A showcase team I gave her the option of her or me calling her coach. She told me "Got to put my big girl panties on sometime, might as well be now." She called him. She was polite and to the point. He understood. Most coaches want what's best for the players and understand changes happen.

Dec 10, 2012
USA
Thank you all.

I told the coach thank you, we are pursuing other opportunities, and we wish your team well. His responses have been all over the map. I think my family made the right decision for DD.

Dec 10, 2012
USA
I saw on the new post "How to break up with a coach by thatcrazymom"

Got my hopes up it would be entertaining lol.

Be honest with the coach as if they are playing B and not A showcases then they know they are not a showcase team and don't fit your DD goals. They cant be offended by what they acknowledge they are not.

My goal is always to be entertaining. However, I was serious about this situation. The coach is hurt by DD's departure. I hoped that he wouldn't be. He has other players to play DD's positions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah