How do you "break up" with a coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2012
USA
So it is time for DD to move on. She joined a team in the fall that is an ok team with nice girls and a nice coach. However, she has dreams of playing in college and her team doesn't okay big tournaments and doesn't get accepted into the big showcases. As a sophomore, she needs to be on a better team. Her coach of the current team hasn't done anything wrong. The team just isn't as competitive as DD (or I) would like it to be. DD had a college coach tell her that she needed to find another team. Any advice on how to break up with a team? We want to give them their best chance to find more players. We will leave them with 11 and DD is not a pitcher or catcher. They are set in those positions. It is an 18U B team, and DD has been offered a spot on a 16U A team.

Sep 29, 2014
Ultimately you have to do what is best for your DD, as others have mentioned do LOTS of research on team she is planning to join I would make sure they had a good track record and not just a bunch of promises. Also do your very best not to burn bridges with current team...you never know what might happen

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
First of all, if it takes longer then 60 seconds to quit the team from start to finish you said too much. Stick to facts about where you are going and why without saying anything that sounds negative about the current team or coach.

My dd has been asked to play for team A. They are playing an aggressive schedule that is built around the girls being in front of college coaches so she can be recruited. Its her dream to play in college and we feel this will help her achieve that goal. We appreciate all that you have done for my dd and we wish you lots of success in the future.

Done, don't drag it out, don't tell him what you don't like about his team, don't give him an opening to say that he will change something for her... Its simple, its fast and its the truth. Thats all you want to do.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
It's not you, it's me...

As others have said, be honest and tell him almost exactly what you said in the first post. If he's a good a guy as he sounds from your post, he'll be disappointed about losing a player but happy she's going to a team that may help her realize her college playing dreams.

Mar 26, 2013
just hop off the bus Gus, you don't need to discuss much.
Beat me to it - there must be 50 ways to leave your team.

The less said, the better - "We're leaving to pursue other opportunities". "Thank you for xxx" and "Good luck."

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Similar to another thread, I will put this out there - does the DD have the discussion with the parent there? Or does the parent just inform the coach?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1