How do various States conduct their State Championships?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
In AZ, the state playoff participants are determined through a power points system. Not sure what the formula is for determining those points, not sure if anybody actually knows.

AZ High Schools are split into four divisions for softball, mostly based on school enrollment. Each division has a state championship tournament. For the two smaller divisions, the playoffs are held over two weekends at a six field complex in Phoenix, which is centrally located for most of the schools in the state. Four of the fields have permanent fences at 300' and use the temporary fences at 200'. Two of the fields were built for fastpitch and have permanent fences at 200', eight feet tall. For the two upper divisions, the first two rounds are played at the sites of the higher seeded team, then at the same complex as the lower divisions up until the championship games. For the last few years, the championship games for the two upper divisions have been played as a Monday evening DH at the softball stadium at Arizona State University.

24 teams in each division qualify for the state playoffs

Mar 31, 2014
In Alabama we have area championship series played at the high schools, the top 2 teams from the area advance to regionals which is played at a central softball complex, the top 2 regional teams advance to the championship tournament which is held in Montgomery. This last year we had 6 classifications for high school sports, the coming year we are going to a 7 classification system

Oct 19, 2009
What is the methodology for ranking the teams?

Our playoff bracket is seeded using leagues for pools. The teams with the higher finish host the first round games and they equalize home/away games for every team after that.

Don’t know for sure the GHSA list the rankings which I not sure how they figure the rankings.

Jul 2, 2013
Though I do like the idea of a single school hosting the state playoffs, I would feel it gives too much home advantage. Physically, mentally, perhaps "home cooking" by the officiating. Our state championship is always held in the middle of the state, at a neutral complex, a TB complex.

What I do like, all the games from single A to the top AAA ( far as we go in TN ), are either live on radio or streamed online.

I do miss the playoffs, they are exciting due to it has to be done with what you have, not what you can recruit.

"home cooking" happens. Though some perfectionists, and newcomers, get on the soapbox proclaiming "oh the humanity". Have watched multiple SC State Championships ... it is Home, and Opposing Home ... then Neutral.

To say "home cooking" is not a factor is a lie. But it gets balanced, and all the "homeboys" get a chance to watch their favorite young ladies. Albeit in the back of a pick-up behind the outfield fence.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Don’t know for sure the GHSA list the rankings which I not sure how they figure the rankings.

Georgia uses rankings only for Class A public and private divisions. There's some points system formula. The higher classes (AAAAAA to AA) seed teams from their regions. You have eight No. 1 seeds, eight No. 2 seeds, etc., for a 32-team draw. First two rounds are played at the site of the higher-seeded teams (not possible for No. 1 to play No. 1 that early). Then it's a neutral site for the elite 8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32