How do various States conduct their State Championships?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Just about every TB tournament we play is on a 300' field with a 4' high temporary fence between 200-225'. This provides a great warm up area in the outfield for teams getting ready to play the next game. Most parks with 200-225' permanent fences have limited space outside the fence for warm ups.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Georgia's high school championships are played at the same site used for the NAIA national championships -

ViewArticle.dbml

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Not sure if N.C. has a facility comparable to Georgia's, or like two that I know about in S.C. (Spartanburg, Rock Hill). NC does a championship series between two finalists, whereas Georgia does 8-team tournaments in six classes over 3-4 days. That might affect the kind of facility you're looking for.

Jul 2, 2013
South Carolina HS State playoffs are held at the high school venues themselves. This is done for a variety of reasons. Mostly because the schools themselves want the revenue, and the increased fan participation, and resulting school pride and newspaper coverage.

SC is a small state and does not really compare to NC in terms of overall teams, and talent. A HS playoff system, when down to the final 8 teams or so (like NC and other large states), is done for scouting reasons possibly, and perhaps a way the powers in the high school softball system can all get together, and maybe get some more revenue for themselves, and reach the colleges a little better.

As far as the venue itself for an 8 team playoff. The one noted for this type of event is not satisfactory. Play the game on a true high school softball field.

As a players parent, I prefer the way SC does it. It stretches the playoffs out and makes for a longer newspaper season. It brings more fans, as our state championship game at home brought 1500 fans, and away brought 500 fans. the schools bring busloads of fans to these events, and the majority of the gate receipts goes to the schools themselves.

I am in the minority here especially in the travel softball community. Almost all the travel coaches, and probably college coaches, want a 1 day, or 2 day tournament so all the self proclaimed "important" softball people can meet and greet. Take some of the gate receipts for themselves, and watch a competetive tournament in a travel softball venue.

I understand this side of it. I don't really knock it. But when you are part of a state championship game, with the stands packed with 1500 of your true fans, the folks you have spent the last 10 years with. Have fireworks at the end, concessions, music, TV coverage, players being mobbed by students when they win, not much compares. It is what HS softball is all about.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
To clarify - Georgia does an 'elite eight' tournament at one venue for teams that make the quarterfinals. North Carolina does a best-of-three championship series among two state finalists and apparently puts them at one venue as opposed to a high school field.

The drawback to playing on a HS field is that one team is getting home-field advantage that usually isn't deserved. Not saying that would be a deal-breaker, but it's an issue.

Another issue w/ playing on a high school field is that many HS fields are not up to the standard you'd want for a state championship event. I know the one where my DD would've attended in Georgia didn't have a restroom, just a couple of portable ones. There was no concession stand. Not enough places for people to sit if it were a state championship. Many don't have batting cages.

Having the finals (or an elite 8) at one venue might make it harder for the local newspaper, but it makes it easier for the big newspapers. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution will cover the softball finals if they're all in one place, but if they're played on six high school fields around the state, they're not coming. Baseball was played on six high school fields statewide, and only two were covered by the AJC.

I'd be curious how the attendance varies depending on format. For example, I'm not likely to go see a state championship series at a high school unless it's close by, or I have a particular team that I really care about. But I might go out of my way to see a larger event that had lots of teams in it, like the elite 8 in Columbus (which is actually six or seven elite 8's, because of all the classifications.

In any event, wherever you put it, the facility should be good.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
California doesn't have a state high school championship, it's too big, so it's divided into sections with sectional championships. Within each section there are five or six divisions based on school size and other factors.

Some sections do have a tournament, but most have the games at the schools themselves. There is an application process prior to the season where schools can sign up to host the games, so that if a qualifying team does not meet the necessary field requirements there are options available.

It's a high school championship, it should be held on high school fields.

-W

Jul 2, 2013
SC State Championship is Home and Home and Neutral for the 3rd. And which gets what first is predetermined, and rotates each year. Takes a week to complete.

The home field advantage is what it is, both good and bad. I speak directly as a players parent. the experience we had was unmatched. I understand the other issues. But one of my lifelong memories will be the one we had. Far surpasses any memory from playing ball, ever. Much because of being surrounded by a very large crowd, most of which were important to DD and were part of her development for a decade, and could all share that important memory with her.

It is a high school thing.

I am in the minority. Not for bad reasons. Many are good reasons. But for a HS player, I am very glad our state had the system it does. For purely selfish reasons. the actual experience my DD had.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
OP - Where should we send the cheese for the author of the newspaper article to go with her sour grapes whine? I seriously doubt she would have written it if Whiteville had won the Class A championship.

CIF Southern Section (802k students, 581 HS) softball is split into 7 divisions. Playoffs are single elimination with games held at participants' home fields up to the championship games. All 7 championship games are held at Bill Barber Park on the stadium field (being used for the World Cup games in July) with 3 on Friday and 4 on Saturday. No admission is charged at the school sites unless both schools petition for it. Admission is charged on a daily basis for the championship games.

Batting practice is a sore subject for CIF-SS playoffs because it is severely limited with a different rule than for the regular season. It is fairly common a team is disqualified for violating the playoff rule out of ignorance.

BATTING PRACTICE – Includes bunting or slap hitting.
Teams entered in the softball playoffs WILL NOT be permitted to take batting practice on the day of the scheduled contest. Batting practice will be construed as any type of pitching motion with ANY type of ball from in front of the batter (including pitching machines, underhand tossing, overhand throwing or pepper). SIDE SOFT TOSS and BATTING TEES WILL BE ACCEPTABLE FOR
PRE-GAME BATTING WARMUP.
The player who tosses the ball must not be standing; they must be sitting or on a knee directly to the side facing the batter. The ball should be lifted, not pitched, to the batter.
THE PENALTY FOR BATTING PRACTICE WITH WIFFLE BALL, SOFTBALL, BASEBALL, ETC. MAY BE FORFEITURE OF GAME.

Jan 24, 2014
Michigan
I don't like the idea of playing state championships on home fields. Maybe it's different but from a wrestling coaches standpoint we enjoy working hard for the opportunity to perform at a much larger venue. Out team championships are held in a very adequate arena that has become more of a 'destination' than just a place to wrestle. Our individual state championships are held at the Palace of Auburn Hills with all divisions under the same roof at the same time and I know no one who would wants that opportunity taken from them. In terms of softball I understand the district and regional level competitions held at local high schools but at some point, probably top 8, let's get these girls on a neutral field with some prestige, they've worked hard and deserve a larger stage. Teams/schools find ways all of the time to get to the state championships to support their family, friends, and classmates. Not only is this a great experience for the players, but the community as well. I can say the 2 years in a row of playing for a state football championship at Ford Field (2.5-3 hours away) was GREAT for everyone.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom