How do I fix this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
I wish I could post a Video but I cant so Ill explain as best I can.
I have a girl on my Juniors LL team that has played for about 4 years. She is a big very strong girl. She swings with horrendous speed and power, BUT: She swings DOWN I mean Really DOWN. When she does hit the ball it goes down in front of the plate like a 90 MPH Bunt. And yes it is a Lunging forward Swing. I have had her do some Slow motion drills that seem to help. She says that her former Coaches acually taught her this. I told her that I think I can help but it will have to be done in the off season. She has lots of potential as an all around player , But her swing needs fixed if she is to advance any. Any thoughts?

Jul 28, 2008
If I'm understanding this correctly.

Try having her finish her swing with the bat over her front shoulder.

Oct 25, 2009
I have this issue with a couple of powerful girls in HS. Neither had ever hit one over the fence. They both have now hit several each over our 210' fence in practice. Neither in a game yet.

What I have them do is hit long tee from a Tanner tee at knee height. I insist that they lift the ball over the infield. "Long tee" is just hitting the ball a long way; as opposed to hitting into a net.

Research some of the threads here about how to hit low pitches. There is a correct approach.

I mentioned the Tanner tee because it allows the batter to hit the ball without the negative feedback you get from hitting off of some other tees.

Jul 21, 2008
Try the Whip-Hit...its nothing but a bat handle with a rope with a ball thru it. I made my own with a old bat that I cut the handle off, piece of rope about 2 ft long and a pitching machine ball....and it works great. With out the correct swing plane you will not hit the ball solid and if you do not follow thur over the front sholder the ball will hit you in the back. Does not take long for them to fix that follow thru after taking a few to the back. When using the whip-hit have player wear a helmet have had several take ball to the back of the head. here is the link The WhipHit Bat

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
No not in Tucson. I am gonna try even though it may be impossible.

Teaching a kid to change from swinging down to matching the plane of the pitch is not impossible. There are different ways to go about it. Epstein's "Torque" and "Numbers" drills will fix them in 1500 dry swings. 100 - 200 swings per day with a Swift-Stik for multiple consecutive days. If they are willing to commit to a program like that they will be fixed in 10 to 15 days. I would argue they would be "too fixed" and might end up swinging up too much; which is what can sometimes happen with Epstein's drills if you are not careful. When they are done with the drills, they will not be swinging down and they will not lunge.

You can also come up with your own system based on the overhand throw like I have, or try some of the other ideas some have suggested. Here is a video you might what to show them to at least get them in the right frame of mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan