how do 9th & 10th graders verbal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
In your example if a school is able to offer athletes in-state tuition, that alone is worth $30K ($10K vs. $40K). How does the NCAA view this? I know some schools offer in-state tuition rates as academic scholarships if a students GPA and ACT/SAT scores meet the criteria.

I would expect it is an all or nothing proposition where you would have to offer it to ALL athletes.

Mar 26, 2013
In your example if a school is able to offer athletes in-state tuition, that alone is worth $30K ($10K vs. $40K). How does the NCAA view this? I know some schools offer in-state tuition rates as academic scholarships if a students GPA and ACT/SAT scores meet the criteria.
My understanding of NCAA bylaws is any waiver of fees due to athletic ability counts as athletic aid. Like you posted, some schools have out-of-state waiver programs that are available to all students and the benefit to athletes that qualify doesn't count as athletic aid as long as their athletic ability was not a factor.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My understanding of NCAA bylaws is any waiver of fees due to athletic ability counts as athletic aid. Like you posted, some schools have out-of-state waiver programs that are available to all students and the benefit to athletes that qualify doesn't count as athletic aid as long as their athletic ability was not a factor.

Are you referring to fees or tuition?

Mar 26, 2013
Stupid question about scholarships? D1 allows 12 athletic scholarships but each scholarship can be divided up among several players. How much is each full scholarship worth? Is it based on the cost of out of state tuition or in state tuition? And if it's based on out of state tuition, wouldn't it make the in state recruit more valuable to the college since they don't have to use the full scholarship money to retain the player?
The equivalencies of full scholarships are calculated for each athlete based on their situation. IOW, students that qualify for in-state tuition are calculated using in-state tuition and the others are calculated using out-of-state. Therefore, the total dollar amount for 12 scholarships varies by the amount given for in-state and out-of-state.

Mar 26, 2013
From NCAA D-I Manual...

15.02.4.1 Athletically Related Financial Aid. Athletically related financial aid is financial aid that is awarded on any basis that is related to athletics ability, participation or achievement. If an application process specifically requests athletics participation or achievements as criteria for consideration in determining whether an applicant receives financial aid, aid received pursuant to such a process is athletically related financial aid. (Adopted: 1/18/14 effective 8/1/14)

Feb 7, 2013
Here's what I am trying to understand.

Two equally talented players. One resides in Texas and one in CA. Both want to be recruited by UCLA. In state tuition is $13,000, out of state supplemental tuition is another $24,000. All things equal, does the CA player have an advantage in getting recruited and a scholarship since their tuition is almost 1/3 the cost of the out of state player?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

Two equally talented players. One resides in Texas and one in CA. Both want to be recruited by UCLA. In state tuition is $13,000, out of state supplemental tuition is another $24,000. All things equal, does the CA player have an advantage in getting recruited and a scholarship since their tuition is almost 1/3 the cost of the out of state player?

I guess it depends on how badly the UCLA coach wants the player from TX, but all things being equal I bet they take the CA player. Teams have a budget and typically operate in the red, so saving $24K in tuition may come in handy when it is time to order new uniforms, ect.

There are some teams in GA who will only recruit GA players who qualify for the Hope Scholarship so their tuition is covered. That covers @ 50% of the cost, and they can have 24 players will full rides (50% academic/50% athletic).

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

Typically it makes no difference. It all would depend on how the bean counters are playing their games and the policies of the school. However, I have heard where administrations are incentivizing the recruitment of local vs out of state talent.

Apr 14, 2011

I wouldn't think it matters as they aren't actually giving these kids cash. They actually lose a little money if it isn't a full offer by taking the CA kid because they pay in state tuition. In a percentage offer the same the Tx kid would pay a higher amount since it's based on the out of state tuition. I did speak to one state school coach and she said they like out of state kids to increase diversity. Then I spoke to another state school coach who is trying to recruit locally to increase local support of school I think. So I guess it depends. from a recruitment standpoint and cost of attendance it's probably easier to take local kids because the family will likely be able to afford a lower percentage offer since their tuition number is lower. 50% offer for an in-state kid is probably similar cost to 75% offer to an out of state kid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi