how do 9th & 10th graders verbal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
just wanted to share. i wouldn't have believed it this time last year for my kid (or even when I started this post) but I guess its possible. my wife took my freshman dd on an unofficial to one of her top choices (major D1) on her list on tuesday. they offered her 50% athletic to start which we were willing to take. our travel ball coach called the head coach and got it negotiated to %75. she is definitely considering it. it fits all her academic needs and other factors that were important to her. she is a fast lefty hitter, RHT, that plays SS/OF. she is a lead-off type hitter that can slap and hit for power. just in case anyone wanted to compare positions and offers. she also plays travel ball for a nationally recognized program (which helps more than people want to admit i think).

-proud papa

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
just wanted to share. i wouldn't have believed it this time last year for my kid (or even when I started this post) but I guess its possible. my wife took my freshman dd on an unofficial to one of her top choices (major D1) on her list on tuesday. they offered her 50% athletic to start which we were willing to take. our travel ball coach called the head coach and got it negotiated to %75. she is definitely considering it. it fits all her academic needs and other factors that were important to her. she is a fast lefty hitter, RHT, that plays SS/OF. she is a lead-off type hitter that can slap and hit for power. just in case anyone wanted to compare positions and offers. she also plays travel ball for a nationally recognized program (which helps more than people want to admit i think).

-proud papa

Congrats and good luck - sounds like she's a rock star

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

-proud papa

Congratulations!

Feb 7, 2013
Stupid question about scholarships? D1 allows 12 athletic scholarships but each scholarship can be divided up among several players. How much is each full scholarship worth? Is it based on the cost of out of state tuition or in state tuition? And if it's based on out of state tuition, wouldn't it make the in state recruit more valuable to the college since they don't have to use the full scholarship money to retain the player?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Stupid question about scholarships? D1 allows 12 athletic scholarships but each scholarship can be divided up among several players. How much is each full scholarship worth? Is it based on the cost of out of state tuition or in state tuition? And if it's based on out of state tuition, wouldn't it make the in state recruit more valuable to the college since they don't have to use the full scholarship money to retain the player?

A scholarship is not based on $$$ but on individual components such as tuition, books, food, housing. As such in state vs out of state makes no difference to the institution. They have 12 tuition "components" that may be divvied up as they see fit. Where is does matter is your wallet. Let's say in state is $10K and out of state is $40k and your DD gets 50% of her tuition paid. If she is in state you will be on the hook for $5k where if it is out of state you need to come up with $20K. For a difference of $15K you may want to have her become a state resident. You still can claim her on your taxes and all that. You may want to Google Declaration Of Domicile for more information. Also check with the school as I have heard that some schools charge athletes in state tuition.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A scholarship is not based on $$$ but on individual components such as tuition, books, food, housing. As such in state vs out of state makes no difference to the institution. They have 12 tuition "components" that may be divvied up as they see fit. Where is does matter is your wallet. Let's say in state is $10K and out of state is $40k and your DD gets 50% of her tuition paid. If she is in state you will be on the hook for $5k where if it is out of state you need to come up with $20K. For a difference of $15K you may want to have her become a state resident. You still can claim her on your taxes and all that. You may want to Google Declaration Of Domicile for more information. Also check with the school as I have heard that some schools charge athletes in state tuition.

In your example if a school is able to offer athletes in-state tuition, that alone is worth $30K ($10K vs. $40K). How does the NCAA view this? I know some schools offer in-state tuition rates as academic scholarships if a students GPA and ACT/SAT scores meet the criteria.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

-proud papa

Since this thread has come back to life, do we know where fastpitch's DD verballed?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Also keep in mind that each school has its own budget. Just because they have 12 scholarships to use doesnt mean they will use them. Im sure most of the major D1s do but some smaller D1s and especially D2s do not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi