how do 9th & 10th graders verbal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
I also heard from another site discussing D1 soccer scholarships that coaches try to get the players academic money, grants, etc first and then what is left over is athletic scholarship money to make up the difference, instead of the other way around. Apparently this is the way coaches can maximize their athletic scholarships and the reason grades are so important to being recruited to your preferred college choice.

Maybe I don't understand scholarships well enough but if you can get 3 in state players by using 1 scholarship, or 1 player from out of state for that same scholarship, seems to be a no brainer to me what I would do as a coach.

Lastly, I would imagine that private schools like Notre Dame don't have to deal with the whole in state, out of state issue since everyone pays the same tuition before being reduced by scholarships?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I also heard from another site discussing D1 soccer scholarships that coaches try to get the players academic money, grants, etc first and then what is left over is athletic scholarship money to make up the difference, instead of the other way around. Apparently this is the way coaches can maximize their athletic scholarships and the reason grades are so important to being recruited to your preferred college choice.

Maybe I don't understand scholarships well enough but if you can get 3 in state players by using 1 scholarship, or 1 player from out of state for that same scholarship, seems to be a no brainer to me what I would do as a coach.

Lastly, I would imagine that private schools like Notre Dame don't have to deal with the whole in state, out of state issue since everyone pays the same tuition before being reduced by scholarships?

You have to differentiate between the perspectives of the NCAA and the Institution with respect to scholarships.

The NCAA perspective is that a D1 school can have a MAX of 12 FULL athletic scholarships. There is no $$$ figure attached to it. The coach can piecemeal these out or give them out in their entirety. The NCAA does not care if the student is in state, out of state, foreign national, or Martian. Nor does the NCAA care about the cost to the institution. There is no tuition cap with respect to $$$ amounts. This would be an interesting twist if there was a cap but that is for another thread.

The Institutional perspective is varied. Depending on the Administrative and Accounting policies they may or may not care about the cost. Some coaches may have a specific $$$ budget per year which may limit what they can or cannot do with respect to in state or out of state. I know of a small D1 in Texas that the coach is compelled to recruit within the state of Texas only. I do not know if that is a financial or philosophical constraint or both. Also keep in mind that some schools may not be fully funded. I know that back in the day USF (University Of South Florida) was only funded for 7 (?) Athletic scholarships for softball. From an NCAA perspective Ivy league schools could give out Athletic scholarships, but they had made a decision to only provide academic $$$.

Apr 14, 2011
As riseball and others have stated. NCAA doesn't care about tuition costs. Fully funded D1 programs (a lot aren't fully funded) have 12 full athletic scholarships regardless of in state, out of state tuition costs. From a coaches recruitment perspective, student-athletes who qualify for other types of money (academic, grants, etc) can be offered a more desirable financial offer than one with not as good grades (combining academic and athletic money) which may help them recruit that player over one who might only qualify for athletic. Additionally in state student athletes may be better able to afford a %50 offer than an out of state player with a %50 offer since %50 for the in state is less than the %50 for the out of state.

When coaches recruit they have to spend time and resources to get kids to want to come to their school. Since time and resources are limited college coaches may target those players with good grades and are in state, not because they are better players, but because the school can offer the player more in total (academic/athletic/in state) and possibly land that recruit rather than spending time recruiting a player that has poor or lower grades and the athletic offer alone might not be enough to get them or be able to afford the school anyway. Also I would think student athletes with good grades in HS will be less likely to become ineligible to play because of grades in college.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I would add that some coaches do not necessarily want their players on a "full ride". When the parents are paying for some of the expenses, they have some skin in the game and are more likely to help ensure that Suzy stays motivated. :)

Feb 7, 2013
So in my example, UCLA can carve up that 1 scholarship among 10 players (each getting 10% athletic money) and whether the player is in state or out of state has no bearing on that scholarship being considered 1 Fully Funded scholarship?

Mar 26, 2013
So in my example, UCLA can carve up that 1 scholarship among 10 players (each getting 10% athletic money) and whether the player is in state or out of state has no bearing on that scholarship being considered 1 Fully Funded scholarship?
Not sure what you're asking since "fully funded" is whether the program is funded to offer the maximum number of scholarships allowed by the NCAA.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

If my understanding is correct, 1/10 = 1/10. The $ associated are irrelevant. Unless the school has an internal budget for the sport. But I could be wrong...

Apr 14, 2011

It sounds like you sort of have the right idea but a better example would be that in a fully funded program they have 24 players and each getting %50 no matter where they live because NCAA allows 12 full athletic scholarships.

Your example for one scholarship is more for non fully funded programs. When a school does not have the full 12 scholarships available they have whatever amount their AD allows. That is when dollar amounts vary. Some schools athletic departments only allocate $5K per player regardless of athletic ability because they still need some tuition into the school from each player. Some D2 even less. So if a school has only the equivalent of 2 full scholarships available, that might mean $100K total, so $5K each for 20 players. Each school is different and the amount will vary from school to school. I notice some NAIA schools have rosters of 35 kids. each of those kids might get $3-5K so the school gets some tuition off each student athlete. In this case, i think the business model is, take as many kids as you can and offer them a little to get some tuition back.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
D-II only gets 7.2 scholarships. Some schools don't even have that number. When my dd was being recruited, it was not uncommon for some D-Is to say that they only had 9 scholarships which were then broken up to several players. I can't say that I know one player that has a full ride athletic only. We were fortunate to get a great offer and only paid a couple of thousand each year but still, we did pay each year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi