how do 9th & 10th graders verbal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2015
I guess it depends on how badly the UCLA coach wants the player from TX, but all things being equal I bet they take the CA player. Teams have a budget and typically operate in the red, so saving $24K in tuition may come in handy when it is time to order new uniforms, ect.

There are some teams in GA who will only recruit GA players who qualify for the Hope Scholarship so their tuition is covered. That covers @ 50% of the cost, and they can have 24 players will full rides (50% academic/50% athletic).

Hope covers 50%? I can't find any % based amounts. I only find exact dollar amounts based on the school selected and hours taken. Unless that amount IS 50% itself.....

Apr 14, 2011
Hope covers 50%? I can't find any % based amounts. I only find exact dollar amounts based on the school selected and hours taken. Unless that amount IS 50% itself.....

Hope covers a certain amount based on credits taken. The percentage varies slightly. It also only covers tuition I think. Not room/board. People around here throw percentages around just to make the math easy. In my experience a lot of college coaches don't speak in percentages when making offers unless they are fully funded. They speak dollar amounts. The ones that do speak percentages for athletic money are fully funded programs since tuition increases slightly year to year, so does that dollar amount.

Academic/merit money is typically offered in dollar amounts (unless it's full, but that's exceedingly rare I imagine).

Percentages are used for athletic money on fully funded programs because of the rules for scholarships allowable at D1/D2. A non fully funded program might only allow $5K per kid athletically. And that's that. So the coach would offer $5k to play for them. Another might offer $10k per student-athlete.

This is all just my observation from experiences of myself and friends who have gone through the process.

Full or mostly paid tuition for softball athletes seem to be less common than it actually is but they do happen. Seems to be more for younger players or early commits to fully funded programs. I see a lot of combination offers of academic / athletic to help pay for college for the rest. Most parents do pay some kind of money. I'd say average ends up half the cost of tuition/board. Some more. Some less.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

The cost to attend college in GA is roughly 50% tuition and 50% room/board/books/misc for in-state students. if a player has the Hope a lot of her tuition is covered, even more if she has the Zell. Some schools will help cover the other 50% with athletic money.

Aug 26, 2015
The cost to attend college in GA is roughly 50% tuition and 50% room/board/books/misc for in-state students. if a player has the Hope a lot of her tuition is covered, even more if she has the Zell. Some schools will help cover the other 50% with athletic money.

Gotcha. I'm originally from LA and we had a program that covered 100% (I think it was called lops or tops or something like that) if you had the grades and scores to qualify for it. It wasn't a set amount like Hope and Zell. That's my bad for being a bit too literal. Carry on...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles