how do 9th & 10th graders verbal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2012
Question. If a kid gets a full or partial athletic scholarship and receives an academic scholarship. Can they pocket the extra money

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Question. If a kid gets a full or partial athletic scholarship and receives an academic scholarship. Can they pocket the extra money

No. The only way you can pocket money is if you play football or basketball for a big-time program with big-time boosters. Unfortunatley said only half-way in jest.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face

Actually yes in certain circumstances. It gets a little complicated but I'll give the Cliff Notes version. There are certain scholarships that, by design, only cover "up to the tuition amount". The scholarship programs usually pay directly to the school, so any money left over after "tuition" ( maybe books ) is returned to the scholarship program.

Now, some scholarships are strictly dollar amounts with no private or federal restrictions. Those too are usually paid to the college. After your tuition fees are met, you have a "surplus" in your account. That money is then "refunded" to YOU by check each semester completed.

My DD is on full athletic. But she also got $2000 a year in another scholarship form. She just got her first "refund" last week, $1000. Next May she will get the other $1000, same deal next year.

A few things to remember is to always inquire of any restrictions on earned scholarships. Find out how the schools financial aid office handles overpayments of scholarships. Sometimes if room and board are included in the athletic scholarship part, the school has a policy to keep the overpayments. ( operating or cost of attendance, I think that how they word it ) Finally is to remember that any refund is considered taxable income for the student, don't forget that when filing.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2013
In general colleges offer 1/2 scholarships, They are allowed a certain number of scholarships, I think about 12 full scholarships.

Most cut them in half, and try to have 24 players on 1/2 scholarships. Athletic scholarships can be pulled at any year. It is common for a non contributing junior to lose her scholly, especially if coaches change.

Then comes the academic scholarships, which are more valuable. The softball players will get preferential treatment for equal students, one playing athletics, one not. Academic scholarships are usually garranteed, if the grades stay up. Hence they are more valuable.

Then come grants, usually based on family circumstance.

Some players hold out. Know they are able to get more, and it becomes a real negotiation. Some great players who are financially strapped can bargain their way into a full scholarship to a lesser school. More power to them

The early commits usually have their mind made up ... are great players ... and jump the gun to the school they want for a 1/2 scholarship.

The deal is done behind the scenes, usually between the travel ball coach, and the players parents.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
D-I schools have 12 scholarships for most schools. However, many schools do not grant the 12 scholarships. I know of several schools in the mid D-I ranks that have 9 scholarships for softball. When dd was on official visits to one, they pointed out that their 40% offer was substantial given that they only have 9 scholarships and 20 players on the roster. Then minimum for D-I is 25% for athletic scholarships. Those scholarships are divided but not 50% in my experience. A stud pitcher is generally given more so some other player is given less.

D-IIs have 7.2 scholarships. That is real tricky since many, if not most, D-IIs still have 18-20 on a roster.

As mentioned before, academic monies are so important. My dd has counted on those monies and, this past week, she was told she is up for another academic scholarship.

SCDad is correct that athletic scholarships are not guaranteed. I can't tell you the number of girls I know that lost their scholarships. Remember, a school is limited and so, if the player is not producing or not at the level a potential recruit would, then they are stripped of the scholarship. SCDad is also correct that it seems like the Junior year is a target year for stripping scholarships.

Where my experience and SCDad's experience differ is the "negotiations." Good luck with that. I don't know one person who were successful negotiating with a coach. I guess it happens but not around here. I hope some of this helps.

Per early verbals, these verbals are not binding on either side. Believe me I know first hand. Yes, most of the time it is done through TB coaches. However, for the most part these players and parents have done the talking face to face on an unofficial visit.

Jul 2, 2013
Where my experience and SCDad's experience differ is the "negotiations." Good luck with that. I don't know one person who were successful negotiating with a coach. I guess it happens but not around here. I hope some of this helps.

It is not hard for a player who has multiple offers to simply state "so and so is offering me this. I want to play for you though, so you will have to beat their offer".

These are from conversations with a few other dads. My DD is not in that group, but the players who you say get a full scholarship, probably negotiated it.

Thanks for clearing me up on some of the details.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I don't know anyone on a full scholarship to a D-I or D-II and would agree with a prior post that if athletic full rides do exist, then that player is a exceedingly rare player. It is almost impossible given the limited number of scholarships. For example, say someone was on scholarship. A D-I coach now has 11 to divide among 20-22 players. Now, most of those 11 are already locked up with players in the program. So, the coach has decisions to make including cutting offers to other recruits, taking a scholarship from a couple of players currently on the team, ... That coach has other recruits coming in with that recruiting class and so, they have received promises as well and a few of them are going to be 50% as well. At the D-I level, my dd was recruited by schools in the Ohio Valley, Missouri Valley and on in the Big 10 Conference. None of them offered over 50% and many offered 40%. One offered 25% to my dd. So, that is our experience. At the D-II, her coach said he'd make an offer we could not turn down and he did.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Junior college seems like an intelligent option.

NJCAA schools are home to some highly competitive teams and can offer another avenue to much needed athletic scholarships. With 362 schools currently offering 24 scholarships each, the opportunities for successfully winning a softball scholarship are greatly increased.

Oct 14, 2008

That answer depends on the coach. What they have to move around to spend on other athletes. Mine was given a full athletic, her ACT was such she also received what was called a Presidential Academic Award. We were under the impression that with her athletic and her academic her costs except for books would be covered.

The September before her signing old coach leaves new coach enters. We are told he will honor her verbal but the following changes are made. Her athletic has been cut by the same amount of her academic award she received.

That money he cut was made up by grants, and donations from alumni, Also being paid by the NCAA for work study It reminded me of a shell game you see magicians use at side shows.

Coaches are constantly moving money from one pot to another to fund their team. And by your dd,s junior season if she has not produced as other posters have said you may see a significant increase in your parental contributions plus her student loans.

Tim

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles