How cold is too cold?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
How many days do you all try out? We do 3 but I'm thinking weather may change that and I personally think 2 days are enough.

Our school rule is 3 though you can go in to talk to the AD if weather etc. affects tryouts. In baseball, I needed 3. In softball, I only needed 2 but still did 3. The difference is that in baseball, I might have 75 players come out for 3 teams and in softball, we might have 30 for 2 teams.

CoachGene72

Can Talk Softball all day
Nov 17, 2012
SoCo
Playing in Colorado Springs temp is 25 with wind and snow. If you are going too play in the cold, you need to practice in in the cold.

We are in the southern Appalachians so we deal with some cool weather, especially in February and March.
For us 40 degrees (with light winds) are acceptable, a little cooler maybe if there is some sunshine.
Last year we played three times with game time temp at 40 or less. Even if warm enough, field conditions are a major factor.
We had tryouts one day in the gym while it snowing, another one on the HS tennis courts in upper 30's. In two weeks got on the field twice, but got three scrimmages over the weekend (at a school 70 minutes away). This week does not look good either and season begins the next week. Hoodies, toboggans, etc are really helpful.
Good luck!

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
the OP was asking about weather for tryouts, not just practice or games.

I have had kids practicing in cold weather and rain and I think it's stupid to hold tryouts or practces outdoors at the start of the season when there are indoor facilities available. Good way to encourage injuries. Not sure what tryouts in cold weather are going to show you except that no one is playing up to their potential- whatever that is.

In my limited experience, outdoor practices in cold or inclement weather work better when the team has already been practicing indoors and are ready to play so it only involves adjusting to the cold rather than trying to get back into the game as well as adjusting to the cold.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Above 50 degrees is a no-brainer. Below 40 is a no-go. 40-50 depends on the weather conditions - sun, wind, humidity, ect. If it is sunny with very little wind, we will practice in the low 40's.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Really wish there was a firm rule on when to play...playing below 45 IMHO is too damned cold. I have heard of girls hands breaking when they hit the ball with bat (cannot confirm this LOL).

Anyhow, it's ridiculous for us to play in 81 degrees (beautiful day) this past Saturday, and tomorrow night, they will play in 30s. -_-