How Close To The Plate Should A Batter Be??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Not if they have had proper hitting instruction. If you are any closer and use proper mechanics, you will hit the inside pitches off of the handle and that is when kids get "shocked" from the vibration.

Here is a rather poor picture, from my lessons. You can't see the plate, but it is drawn on a bath mat (one of Hitter's ideas.)

Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

My daughter uses the same method of laying the bat across the plate, she was shown this at a Bustos Clinic and has lined herself at the plate ever sense then.

When daughter was in middle school coach had ever batter stand with their toes on the black, teams batting average was terrible. They had a summer team and daughter played on a different summer team and loved to pitch against them. They could not handle a good inside fastball.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
In case someone wants to post Bustos doesn't do this in a game, those that have watched her in a clinic, she shows you how to do the same thing, but taking your foot to foot then stepping forward with the front foot. This method doesn't have you put the bat down on the ground. For some girls laying the bat down bothers them. My dd is now 17 and still does the bat method, then draws a line, as a reference point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA