How aggressive is too aggressive

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2017
Pickoffs and throwdowns are situational and the catcher needs to understand this. I am going to care less if our catcher can explain they thought it was a good idea even if they airmail it. "Coach, I tried the pickoff/throwdown because...". You do it for a reason - if they made a bad decision we can talk about it and they gain experience on when it is a go/no go. If they are just throwing down for the sake of throwing down - that does not fly.

For example - not a complete list

GOOD:

- We ALWAYS try a pickoff on the first pitch after we give up a first baserunner. We show off the cannon, show we are willing and look to keep the baserunners just a little hesitant. A small pause is the difference between a go/no go or a caught stealing. I have seen teams totally give up on baserunning once they see our catcher throw this once.
- When we are up or down 5
- When there is only a runner on 1st and she is asking for it.
- After a leadoff triple or a runner on third with no outs and we are down or up 2. The runner is likely scoring, so it is worth a shot or two even if she scores on a bad throw.
- Throw directly to SS if the runner on 2nd is taking a big lead because no one is covering 2nd base bag (we scare runners and get outs with this)
- If the coach says to.. there should be a sign to go after someone. There shoudl also be a quick throw to pitcher and pickoff sign for the pitcher to make the play
- On steal threats taking big leads
- On slow girls who are leading more than they should
- If my corners are good, I get more aggressive in throwing down.

BAD:
- In close games that are half over I am not throwing down to third and hesitating to 1st unless there is a real chance of an out
- If there is ZERO chance of getting an out. Wasting time with risk, not good.
- Unless planned, after a failed bunt where SS is covering 3rd
- On a 1st/3rd steal with a fast runner on 3rd (though our catchers have big arms and we will often go for a caught stealing/throw home double play and we have bats so sometimes an out for a run isn't a bad thing early in games or if we are up big)

This is good! Thank you. She has a great arm and generates outs, so I hate to shut it down completely.

A sign is a good idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
This is good! Thank you. She has a great arm and generates outs, so I hate to shut it down completely.
A sign is a good idea!

Oh yeah, throw down aggressively - just a matter of knowing when the risk is worth it. No one without truly elite speed runs on our teams - HS or Travel. Our catchers are beasts and they are going to make sure you know it - and know it early in the game. They LOVE the first baserunner/pickoff opportunity.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
DD loves the pick off at 3rd. When she has a 3b she really trusts, she's way more likely to do it. I always get a little worried when the 3b isn't used to it. Pretty sure HC has a sign or # for it as well. But she will do it if she sees the runner leading off too much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles