Hosting a coaches clinic

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
Any body with any experience in attending or hosting a coaches clinic have any ideas as to how to run it/break it up/and make it run smoothly would appreciate. How long should it last, how many instructors, etc. Thanks

what kind of coaching clinic r u looking 2 run? hitting, pitching, or an everything clinic, what type of coaches r u looking to bring in? Where r u having it and what kind of place will u have it at, indoors, outdoors?

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
what kind of coaching clinic r u looking 2 run? hitting, pitching, or an everything clinic, what type of coaches r u looking to bring in? Where r u having it and what kind of place will u have it at, indoors, outdoors?

Hitting, how to run a practice, throwing, infield basics, and it will be outdoors and the ball fields. The type of coaches are rec ball and most are doing batting practice and infield together. their teaching squish the bug, swing level, throw hands, etc, and many other bad habits. I thought about covering the above with the focus on hitting.Thanks

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Have you set up a time.....I am in KC May24-27 when the Rangers play the Royals.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
Have you set up a time.....I am in KC May24-27 when the Rangers play the Royals.

Not yet,Trying to bring Howard and some of his girls bit Im still waiting to here from Mesa. If its a go it will probabally be October or later.I may do a small coaches clinic for the league (rec), not sure when, but Ill post both. Thanks Eric

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Not yet,Trying to bring Howard and some of his girls bit Im still waiting to here from Mesa. If its a go it will probabally be October or later.I may do a small coaches clinic for the league (rec), not sure when, but Ill post both. Thanks Eric

Eric did you get the word document?

Thanks Howard

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
For Rec coaches, assume they know nothing, and cover as much of the basics as you can. Including warm-ups/stretching. Try to have them participate if possible ( as opposed to just watching ) They'll be able to retain and pass on more info if they feel thwhat the exercises and drills are trying to accomplish.

I went to one a couple of years ago where they brought in an umpire to discuss common rule misunderstandings. That was great.

Dec 28, 2008
There is only so much learning that can be done with a pen and paper. One thing I do at my coaching clinics is actually encourage hands on participation. They bring their gloves and do fielding, hitting, sliding, diving etc. There are definitely times designed for the listening, questioning and writing, but I love "active learning".

For instance if I explain to you how to dive you might write down what I say, and I might leave a lot out. But if I teach you to dive, and you are about to do something, suddenly there are a lot more questions and "oh yeah glad you asked" moments. If coaches learn the physical skills involved they get a greater appreciation for what the players actually have to go through and can be more patient in breaking things down when they take the material back to their team.

If you are dealing with rec coaches who are fairly new to coaching you will want to guide the stations that they attend so that they can get exposed to everything, infielding, outfielding, hitting, baserunning, bunting etc. But if you are dealing with experienced coaches you'll want to provide instructors with a variety of topcs that allow those coaches more interested in learning more about infielding to go to that station , while those interested in outfielding are doing that. You will likely have overlap during other stations like hitting.

If you bring in a big named instructor ensure that all coaches have some opportunity to work with them either by opening it up as 1 large group session, or by having them repeat for smaller groups. Don't make coaches choose between working with Howard for hitting, or doing infield with a local former college infielder.

Handouts: People love getting handouts. I like to hand out lots of different things that are tid-bits from Marc's information on nutrition/hydration, web site addresses, discussion forum sites etc. If you have the money buy those $1 clipboards so that each coach has a clipboard and 10 cent pen to use so that those who didn't think ahead of time, can actually get something out of it.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Just remember the old saying, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink." I have attended several clinics over the years and the biggest problem I have seen is that you can run an excellent clinic and show people how to run a fun and fast moving practice; that doesn't mean they will do it. I have seen many people who have attended these clinics go back to having batting practice with 10 bored kids in the field and each kid getting 7 swings in a practice. Your organization has to make an effort to show that this is not acceptable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet