Homesick

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
... Even though she is going to school in another state, we are close enough that she gets in state tuition.
That's a great deal. Is it good for any school in the other state or just the one(s) close to you?

Out here, the Western Undergraduate Exchange allows students to go to member schools at 150% of the resident rate.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
She also, like so many others, took longer than 4 years to graduate. She said that the debt she incurred that last year left her with over $30,000 in loans. She said that most of her teammates were in similar boats and especially those that did not take a summer class or two at home.

Do most D1 softball players stick around for summer school and workouts? Is summer school included in the typical scholarship package or do the parents/player have to pay out of pocket? Would love for my DD to be able to go to summer school to help insure she graduates in 4 years.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
What my dd did, as well as many others, is take some general studies course at our local JUCO in the summer and then transfer credit. You save money while the kid stays at home and they can get a class or two out of the way. However, this is not as easy as it sounds. You have to make sure that your dd works to ensure that the transfer credits will be accepted. My dd's adviser set everything up before she took the JUCO classes and so, we knew everything would transfer.

I don't know of any scholarship that covers summer school for my dd or her teammates.

SoCal Dad, we live in the St. Louis Metro East. That is in Illinois. My dd goes to The University of Missouri at St. Louis. They have an area of radius where, if you live in it, you get in state tuition. We are in that radius. You will find all kinds of options during recruitment. For example, my dd was recruited by Murray State which is in Murray Kentucky. That is a very good school and 4 hours from our house. DD would not have been considered "in state" but at Murray, they have "in region" also and so, she would have received some type of financial break.

Potential pitfalls for some parents when their dd arrives at that ideal fit:

• Other fees - For example, we didn't realize that the parking sticker for dd's car was not included in her monies. It was a big expense. They have eliminated that now thank goodness.
  • Medical Care - Your health care plan had better cover a lot. Your dd will be hours away. I know one of dd's teammates was rushed to the hospital and their emergency room deductible was $500. You had better have a way to cover this type of expense.
  • Credit Card troubles. DD used hers and was contacted by company to cancel her credit card due to hackers. We were not hurt but many in our area were. It took over a week for that new credit card to get issued.
  • Car breakdown. One of our friends called and their dd's car broke down in the area I was born in. They asked if I had relatives there. I did and so, we got her help that she could trust.

Well, I could go on and on. It seems that there are small fees all of the time. I wish you all well in this quest and just wanted to throw some of this out there.

Mar 26, 2013
SoCal Dad, we live in the St. Louis Metro East. That is in Illinois. My dd goes to The University of Missouri at St. Louis. They have an area of radius where, if you live in it, you get in state tuition. We are in that radius. You will find all kinds of options during recruitment. For example, my dd was recruited by Murray State which is in Murray Kentucky. That is a very good school and 4 hours from our house. DD would not have been considered "in state" but at Murray, they have "in region" also and so, she would have received some type of financial break.
As you probably know, the rationale for higher fees for non-residents is public schools are supported by state tax dollars and non-residents haven't paid taxes in that state. The WUE out here is a reciprocal agreement among the members to give each other's residents a break in exchange for their residents getting a break. I think they used to waive the non-resident fee, but that changed as state schools became more dependent on that extra money to make ends meet.

I hadn't heard of a similar agreement in other parts of the country. That's why I asked whether it was only good for the local school(s). I just looked up Murray's fees and I've never seen so many different categories before.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I traveled 11,200 miles to come to the USA to play college basketball (Western Australia to Michigan) and get an education at the same time. My wife didn't travel quite as far and had some family fairly local, but certainly changed countries (Trinidad to Canada) to attend college. I was never the homesick type person - but then I was always pretty independent and self-motivated.

The expectation we set our kids is that they get the best eduction they can from the best college they can attend. We expect that academics will drive their college choice and that there is a LOT more options for academic scholarships and aid than athletic. If athletic money is available then that is something that will be considered but it is not something to be relied upon.

My real hope is that my kids find something academically that they really want to do like I did - this makes motivating yourself to go to classes so much easier. You can't concentrate so much on your sport that what you are ACTUALLY attending college to do becomes secondary. It was never a tough grind for me as it was for some of my teammates - I loved my classes involved in my major and I loved the sport I was playing - it was an environment I thrived in.

We try to broaden our kids horizons as much as possible - visit different areas, countries, cultures, etc. I will say that we are way more directly involved in our kids lives than our parents were so who knows how that might effects things when they are approaching college age.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
While I am sure that some kids still get homesick when they go off to college, I imagine that all of today's electronic devices for "staying in touch" would significantly decrease the numbers.

May 23, 2010
I certainly know some kids who would be homesick if they were far from home. My eldest is not homesick, but she is only three hours away, so we can visit her or she can come home for the weekend if she wants.

In regard to the summer courses - why not have the kid take some AP exams? This is a good way to get some gen ed requirements out of the way. Check with the school for the details. My kid has 24 credits for her APs at the school she attends. However, if she had attended state flagship U, she would have 37 credits. Not only useful for avoiding summer courses and fulfilling gen ed, but also gives you sophomore standing for earlier class registration.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
While I am sure that some kids still get homesick when they go off to college, I imagine that all of today's electronic devices for "staying in touch" would significantly decrease the numbers.

Actually some studies have shown that the electronic devices prolong the issue. Because kids can call home or their friends when ever,, they are not forced to adapt to the new people around them. The real cure is for the kid to make new relationships, The book I mentioned earlier recommended that you limit your calls as much as possible in the beginning.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Take a close look at AP credits and how each school accepts them. Some don't accept them at all. Some only accept above a certain test score. Many others will take them as credit towards a required course but will not apply the credit hours toward the amount necessary for graduation.

Also investigate the teacher's success rate for students test scores. At our school 1 teacher had 1 student in 3 years who scored high enough on the test to get credit. While other teachers had 75% success rates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah