Homemade/DIY Training aids

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2012
Im looking for some kind of website/area where i can find how to make some of the aids that are out there, I know there are frugal parents/coaches here that know where I can find this stuff. Looking for hitting and pitching the most but any aids would be beneficial.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
You're at it. You tube is great too. But many folks here have "built their own" I'm sure...I know I have. What is it you want to make? Batting Tee? Hanging mat? Weighted Balls? Pulley system? Agility Ladder? Pitching Circle in your yard? A swing hanging from a big tree branch?

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Im looking for some kind of website/area where i can find how to make some of the aids that are out there, I know there are frugal parents/coaches here that know where I can find this stuff. Looking for hitting and pitching the most but any aids would be beneficial.

I posted this in another discussion. Here is a hitting aid if you were looking for one that works.

Apr 8, 2010
i just found several youtube videos on homemade agility ladders and weighted balls yesterday. The weighted balls might be a stretch (in terms of saving money). Check your local goodwill/re-sale shop. Making my own agility ladder will save me some $$$ b/c I have everything I need all ready.

May 13, 2013
when pitching in the garage, does anyone use any special flooring, or just pitching on the concrete?

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
when pitching in the garage, does anyone use any special flooring, or just pitching on the concrete?

We use carpeting, a pre-hemmed section from any Home Store USA. Then I grabbed one of the used temporary pitching plates our LL was throwing away....took off the spikes and added velcro. You may need to add some "non-slip carpet gripper" under the rug. It all works just fine and we got away cheap.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
The weighted balls might be a stretch (in terms of saving money).

So long as you don't want to add tons of weight, making weighted balls is EASY and basically cost free. Grab some finish nails and hammer them in through the seams. You can use 6d-2", or 8d-2.5" or even 10d-3" nails. Just add as many as you want for the weight you desire. Make sure you add the nails in a balanced and symmetrical pattern though. You'll be able to hammer them right down to where can barely see them, and they will not affect gripping the ball. The softball weighs 6.8 ounces and has a diameter of about 3.8 inches.

For a reference...

20 6d = 1 ounce
12 8d = 1 ounce
8 10d = 1 ounce

Easy Peasy Japanesee.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Home Depot. 1 inch Barrel diameter wood.About 31-34" length. Add some bat/medical tape for handle. Duct Tape to opposite side for weight. Not to much just enough for some weight. I use these for hitting golf ball size wiffles and TCB wiffles. Cheaper than thundersticks and the whole team can have one in their bags for practice or warm-ups

Saw a wooden bat in half. Down to handle. Screw in a eye-bolt. Tie in a heavy duty towel in a knot around the eye. Great for a resistance and warm up while on deck.

Hit skittles. Have girls call out colors.

Oven Mitts instead of pancake gloves-For softhands

Hope this helps some

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13