Home Team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I guess I'm a idiot. Just checked our league rules and home team get's 3B dugout. I we even played a game as visitor last night in 1B dugout. Not sure how I could forget that.

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
I think it's probably a matter of timing for TB at least. By the time they flip the coin, teams already want to be settled in the dugout and ready to hit the field. If they had to do a dugout shuffle, that would take up time and cause that field to run late.

I've been in TB for a while and I can tell you, between switching umps, getting the other teams to clear the dugout, and getting a team into the dugout, all while trying to maintain a time schedule and not knowing who the home team is until the coin toss (pool play). Attempting to adhere to any sort of "who has which dugout" adds too many logistics to an already hectic timeline.

Additionally, I like the 3B side because, as mentioned before, I coach 3b and I like to be able to talk to the dugout when we are on offense.

Having said that our rec league adheres strictly to the "home team is in in 1B dugout" rule. Not really a big deal because it is one game at a time and teams know if they are home or away because the schedule tells them so.

Finally, I am a fan of tradition and until this thread I assumed that all big league parks had their home team on the 1B side. I guess you learn something new everyday.

Mar 7, 2016
We drew a firecrackers team for brkt play in State during a tournament. We were the home team, and both teams waiting for field to finish before we took the field. We headed to 3rd base side and the coach comes over and tells me hes taking that dugout, that the home team takes 1B side and his reasoning and i quote "That is how the royals stadium is, so you must be wrong here".... I was speechless. Ended up being a pretty chippy game too as he taught his players to block the base path and i teach my girls to truck players that do that. lol

Mar 7, 2016
wow after reading all these replies here seems like everyone grew up with a different standard on this one. Then again using the Yankees as a gold standard in this thread makes the rest of the country automatically think you are wrong lol

Jun 12, 2015
It's first come, first served IME. Plus by the time they take the field and do the coin toss (it's so rare to be in a tournament that determines who's home by high seed even in bracket, at least in our age group here), everyone's already in a dugout.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619