Home Team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
12 MLB teams use the 3rd base dugout when at home.
Anyway, my point being teams should honor posted signs. When home is posted on 1st base line & 3rd base line is reserved for visitors/guests.
I bring it up because our poor excuse for a coach doesn’t even bring a hitting net for practice before games. I try and get to the game early and set-up a net for the girls to practice with. It’s amazing how much better the kids hit with some pregame warm-up swings.
There is no consistency and I have had to switch sides a few times which really seems unnecessary.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Our rec league designated 1B as the home dugout, but only b/c home team is supposed to line the fields, and the 1B dugout has the machine and the bin holding the chalk.
That's funny. Our rec league designated 1B as home dugout too. But most of the fields have the chalk box on the 3B side.

For the TB games that are mostly decided by coin flip anyway in pool and sometimes bracket (USA I'm lookin at you) I've seen "first come first served" listed in tournament rules or "team listed first will have x dugout" and sometimes "hire seed for bracket will be home and have x dugout" Both of the later usually have a stipulation - unless occupied by the team playing the prior game. And x is usually 1st base.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Anyway, my point being teams should honor posted signs. When home is posted on 1st base line & 3rd base line is reserved for visitors/guests.
I bring it up because our poor excuse for a coach doesn’t even bring a hitting net for practice before games. I try and get to the game early and set-up a net for the girls to practice with. It’s amazing how much better the kids hit with some pregame warm-up swings.
There is no consistency and I have had to switch sides a few times which really seems unnecessary.
forgive me for saying, but that sounds more like coaching failure and not a home/away issue.

Aug 13, 2018
We have 6 fields at our complex. 3 of the 6 the home team (us) always takes the 1B dugout. 1 of them the home team (us) alwaystakes the 3B dugout. The other two are not used quite as often and are taken by what ever team gets there first (if it's one of my games, I'm always there first and I prefer the first base dugout.)

None of them are marked, it's just sort of known because it's a fairly close-knit town travel league and everyone knows everyone.

Apr 28, 2019
And? You said that they were always on the 1st base line. That's not true.
If you go back in time I believe you will see this was common practice. Not sure when the changes were allowed to occur.
I take my cue from the Greatest sports franchise ever. (Yankees)
Not sure the Cubs or Chisox are a good measuring stick.

Apr 25, 2019
In the tournaments we have played in, typically we do not know if we are home or away until after the coaches meet with the umpires at home plate and did the coin flip. So what would you do there? Wait tuntil after and then go to your dugout?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619