Home run derby

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
When a tournament has a home run derby, how do they run it? My daughter said she'd be interested, but we can't find any information on what exactly they do.

Jun 20, 2008
The ones that I have seen have the groups by age and they get X number of pitches from a machine or front tosser and the most hit out wins, in the case of a tie there is another round with the kids that are tied, sometimes they have awards for the longest...

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Wow, even at 12u, 14u etc???

Heck yea. The only way to win it is to go yard as many times as you can. I've done a few times over the years and it's fun and a good fundraiser. One or more of the dads will have a juiced slowpitch bat. ( you'll know it when you see them pull out this old crappy beat up bat that will crush a softball ) We always put some DD's in the outfield to shag balls. Best part is "robbing" the HR. DD's will line the fence and try to catch those balls that are just barely going to clear.

It's a safe time to show the girls just how dangerous a juiced bat is, and they love hitting one in a controlled environment.

Last edited: