Hockey style helmets causing more concussions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
ASA - 3.5.C

CATCHER MASKS: (Junior Olympic Fast Pitch) Catchers must wear a mask
with throat protector, approved helmet with ear flaps, shin guards which offer
protection to the knee caps and body protector. An extended wire protector
may be worn in lieu of an attached throat protector. Any player warming up a
Junior Olympic pitcher must wear a mask with throat protector and approved
helmet with ear flaps. FP catchers cannot merely wear the plastic face mask/
guard.
NOTE: (Sections A-B-C) The ice hockey goalie style face mask is approved
for use by catchers. If the throat protection built into the mask is inadequate,
in the judgment of the umpire, a throat attachment must be added to the
mask before using.

Apr 1, 2010
DD originally would not wear the hockey-style; she didn't like the way the plate on the back fit tight against her head. She started out with one of the Adidas combo helmets. When she outgrew it, she found a Rawlings combo helmet she liked.

At the start of last fall's season, she was given a beautiful red and white Worth catcher's set with the hockey style helmet. As it happens, this last year was the first time I believe she's gotten a concussion from a foul ball. When I was looking over the helmet, I found a spot where the metal face guard has been bent out of shape near the forehead. I really don't know whether the combo style would have protected her better or not, but yes, they do have a different fit. Her old combo helmets weren't fitted so tightly from front to back.

Maybe some shock absorbers between the metal guard and the helmet would make a difference?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The Detroit Tigers catcher has had trouble with concussions. He wears the old style mask but its made of much lighter weight material. He has since gone back to the old style with the coated steel mask. Its heavier but it supposed to absorb the blow better.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Both of my daughters (18U and 12U) wear Wilson Shock FX helmets, which have small shock absorbers built into the mask to reduce impact. Seems to help with foul tips off the mask, both have taken some pretty strong hits with no noticeable repercussions.

SHOCK FX

Aug 14, 2013
Both of my daughters (18U and 12U) wear Wilson Shock FX helmets, which have small shock absorbers built into the mask to reduce impact. Seems to help with foul tips off the mask, both have taken some pretty strong hits with no noticeable repercussions.

SHOCK FX

The shock absorbsion sounds interesting. Read through a couple comments and they seemed to be positive. The only compaint was the straps that hold the back plate were wearing from the sharp edge of the helmet. Did you experience this?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm wondering if rubber bushings could be put between the cage and helmet (at each of the mounting screws) on a hockey-style mask to povide a little extra give on impacts to the cage. I might look into this on my DD's mask.

Feb 12, 2011
One of the biggest problems catchers have is their catching helmet does not fit their head properly. It doesn't matter how much it costs or the brand, if the helmet does not fit properly it will cause more head injuries. Another cause of injuries on a foul tip the catcher turns their head sideways and the ball hits the side of their helmet which is not designed to take the side impact. My daughter had broken 4 catcher helmets in four years, they all crack in the middle by the forehead just above the cage. These were all from foul tips. Fortunate no head injuries. My best suggestion is to see quality help in making sure the equipment fits properly.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
The shock absorbsion sounds interesting. Read through a couple comments and they seemed to be positive. The only compaint was the straps that hold the back plate were wearing from the sharp edge of the helmet. Did you experience this?

We have not had any issues with the straps wearing at all, but both of my DDs leave the mask on. The negative reviews I saw seemed to come from catchers who throw their masks off during play. We follow the NECC theory on this, so the helmet stays on while they are in the field.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut