Hitting vs Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Am I confusing everyone in what I am trying to get answered?

The directional component to the Swing, is missing in the Windmill pitch.

If it is not the frontside stride, or the amount of opening of the hips, what is it? (directional component)

would Blocking the frontside, by a square planted foot, or woulda more open, or 45 planted, or 90, (step open drill)

allow an easier adjustment for location?

Something to think about....

DDs pitching coach likes to talk about pitch location being determined by the throwing side hip. I will often hear him say "aim with your hip". Since that is essentially where the pitch is being released, it kinda makes sense to me. He does not promote striding to a different spot with the lead leg. In his teaching, direction is rear leg driven. The front leg will go where the rear leg wants it to. Could this lead to striding to a different spot? Sure. But that isn't the focus.

Similarly, I have seen Mudvnine post about "hitting the ball with your hip". IMO, he is suggesting that at least a portion of the directional component is coming from that same spot in the rear hip. Therefore the hips will be oriented differently for an inside pitch vs. an outside pitch.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
...but the hips will open/turn accordingly, (rotate as needed), based on What?....

Based on pitch location - less rotation for outside, more rotation for inside. Accordingly, point of contact will need to be modified also - deeper or more towards the catchers box for outside, shallower or more towards the pitcher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283