Hitting style - holding bat out in stance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Anybody (paging Rdbass) have a clip of a hitter holding the bat out front, then pulling back and hitting? I don't mean fake bunt/hit, but just the style of holding the bat in front as a timing technique.

Any thoughts on this style?

My DD has developed a bad habit of dropping hands, dumping barrel and dragging bat (drop & drag, you might call it). She knows how to swing correctly, but for the life of her, she couldn't undo the problem in game action. Then last week, she noticed in practice that she could cure the problem if she adopted this style of holding the bat out front. It forced hands to come back (rather than down).

Wondered what people thought about this, pros/cons. Only concern is that it's a long ways to bring the hands back and is not as efficient (theoretically) as a more still 'walking away from hands' approach.

She hit very well this weekend, though. Probably best of the year so far. Might be a coincidence, but for now, it looks like she has a new hitting style. :)

Many of my players do this, I do not make them do it, but it is a product of a drill that I use, a version of SNF.
lexihighhandsgif-M.gif

after they get used to the feeling of the stretch, I think they like the whip action it creates, because after I add a more traditional "stride" some still tend to "hold the bat out front"

Feb 7, 2013
Talk about good timing (pun intended). This landed in my email today. It's a video explanation of the timing slap from Tim Walton. Whether you agree with the philosophy or not, here's why they do it.

Timing Slap - Tim Walton - Univ. of FL [VIDEO]

Thanks for sharing. An overview of his technique:

- Walton says that you want to use the "Timing Slap" if a) the batter is struggling or b) the pitcher is dominant
- he advocates that you choke up with your bottom hand and move your top hand up to the neck of the barrel (as if you are bunting)
- you especially want to use this technique when facing the rise ball or off-speed pitch
- This technique helps with timing and gives the batter confidence.

The comments/questions I have are:

- Why is it called a timing "slap" and not a timing "hit" or "swing". Is the goal just to put the ball in play?
- Why do you want to choke up with the bat across the plate, knowing that you have to place the hands back on the handle into their original spot as you bring the bat back to its normal pre-load position? I'm no hitting instructor but I think I want my hands correctly placed on the bat handle well before the pitch is released?
- If this technique helps really well with the rise ball and off-speed, my question is how does the batter know what pitch the pitcher will throw each time? What if she is throwing a lot of drop balls, screwballs and curves. Should you abandon this technique?
- He says to use this technique with batters who are struggling but someone said here that the whole Florida team uses this technique. Are they all struggling to hit or are they all facing dominant pitching every game?
- Some teams only use the "timing slap" with two strikes (e.g. Alabama's "Power Slap")? Why not use it all the time if it is superior to the standard batting set-up with the hands and bat back.

My overall feeling on this technique is that its the "flavor of the month", as D1 coaches are trying to be different and experiment with different batting styles, etc. (See ULL's split grip). It kinda insults the intelligent of these top college players that they cannot get their "timing" down without resorting to some unorthodox technique.

Anyone else see an issue with the explanation in the video?

Dec 4, 2013
Thanks for sharing. An overview of his technique:

- Walton says that you want to use the "Timing Slap" if a) the batter is struggling or b) the pitcher is dominant
- he advocates that you choke up with your bottom hand and move your top hand up to the neck of the barrel (as if you are bunting)
- you especially want to use this technique when facing the rise ball or off-speed pitch
- This technique helps with timing and gives the batter confidence.

The comments/questions I have are:

- Why is it called a timing "slap" and not a timing "hit" or "swing". Is the goal just to put the ball in play?
- Why do you want to choke up with the bat across the plate, knowing that you have to place the hands back on the handle into their original spot as you bring the bat back to its normal pre-load position? I'm no hitting instructor but I think I want my hands correctly placed on the bat handle well before the pitch is released?
- If this technique helps really well with the rise ball and off-speed, my question is how does the batter know what pitch the pitcher will throw each time? What if she is throwing a lot of drop balls, screwballs and curves. Should you abandon this technique?
- He says to use this technique with batters who are struggling but someone said here that the whole Florida team uses this technique. Are they all struggling to hit or are they all facing dominant pitching every game?
- Some teams only use the "timing slap" with two strikes (e.g. Alabama's "Power Slap")? Why not use it all the time if it is superior to the standard batting set-up with the hands and bat back.

My overall feeling on this technique is that its the "flavor of the month", as D1 coaches are trying to be different and experiment with different batting styles, etc. (See ULL's split grip). It kinda insults the intelligent of these top college players that they cannot get their "timing" down without resorting to some unorthodox technique.

Anyone else see an issue with the explanation in the video?

I agree, I was not wowed by the video...... His explanation doesn't seem to match up with what his hitters do...... I wonder if it is old ?

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I Like to use it for my newer players, like the 12 year old above against very fast pitchers. It really does seem to work.

I do not use the bunt grip, or sliding hands, or choke up.

As for unorthodox, snf is a position that all HL players get into.

snfFront_Torque_254211813_std.jpg

Feb 7, 2013
As for unorthodox, snf is a position that all HL players get into.

View attachment 8341

The unorthodox part of it is a) choking up on the bat and b) laying the bat across the plate as if to be bunting. In my opinion, it's unorthodox as I have never seen this done at the elite baseball level which it seems everyone uses as the gold standard for correct hitting mechanics.

Wonder if Men's Fastpitch uses this batting technique? They certaintly are facing some world-class windmillers who have wicked rise balls and off-speed pitches. I just hope this technique is not another example of "dumbing down the game for the girls/women".

Nov 12, 2014
NEMO
He said the emphasis was on confidence. And several times said things like "or at least think we have an advantage".

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The unorthodox part of it is a) choking up on the bat and b) laying the bat across the plate as if to be bunting. In my opinion, it's unorthodox as I have never seen this done at the elite baseball level which it seems everyone uses as the gold standard for correct hitting mechanics.

Wonder if Men's Fastpitch uses this batting technique? They certaintly are facing some world-class windmillers who have wicked rise balls and off-speed pitches. I just hope this technique is not another example of "dumbing down the game for the girls/women".

While attending a teener league game last week, I noticed two hitters on the one team utilizing this style. I realize that isn't "elite baseball" but I still found it interesting. As others have stated, this is simply a style and I don't think anyone is recommending it as an absolute. Just another tool for the tool box. But if it works for a particular hitter, why not use it? I don't think it is any different than using an open stance, or a high leg kick, or any other "style" attribute that some, but not all hitters use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1