Hitting Question on Hitting with fron Heel raised and tunred towards pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2011
Does anyone have experience or opinions on a hitting stance/load position that starts with the batter's lead foot with the heel raised and turned towards the pitcher? I saw this a few times during the college season. My daughter is 8 and is a very good hitter with good power for her age but cant stride yet. Striding throws off her timing. SHe is now playing with a 10 and under team but she doesnt have 10 and under power. looking for ways to tweek her swing during season wihtout rebuilding or giving her a set back during season and give her a little more power. In 8 an dunder she was a tripples hitter now with the older gilrs she is a singles hitter.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
That's another tough habit to break and I'm not sure there is a magic bullet fix. I've posted some Justin Stone drills, a couple of the tee drills focus on loading and striding.

What you describe sounds interesting though, let me know if it works. One would think pointing the heel towards the pitcher would seem to force the hitter to make some kind of stride.

Nov 8, 2009
I have taught raised heel in 10U with 50-70% improvement. Never thought of turning toward pitcher but, I like it and will try it!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
9U DD hits this way but with her heal pointed towards @ SS, she is a righty.

There is a video on here somewhere showing a major league baseball player striding with less the 2 strikes, when they have 2 strikes they have a move similar to what you are asking about.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Does anyone have experience or opinions on a hitting stance/load position that starts with the batter's lead foot with the heel raised and turned towards the pitcher? I saw this a few times during the college season. My daughter is 8 and is a very good hitter with good power for her age but cant stride yet. Striding throws off her timing. SHe is now playing with a 10 and under team but she doesnt have 10 and under power. looking for ways to tweek her swing during season wihtout rebuilding or giving her a set back during season and give her a little more power. In 8 an dunder she was a tripples hitter now with the older gilrs she is a singles hitter.

It sounds like what you are describing is a batter who starts in their stance with their hips cocked. If you choose to do this you will lose the pendulum action of the hips and will hit with less power than if you cock your hips as you pick up the lead foot to stride. If you choose to go with a no stride, I would start in my stance with both feet on the ground with toes pointed roughly towards the plate. From there you can pick up your front foot to cock your hips and just drop it back down. However I think you will find that even some no striders come forward some after they pick up their front foot in order to keep their balance.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Jaywools,
Check out Mike Epsteins Torgue drill.My DD swing was messed up.Had her 45 front foot towards 2b at toe touch.Bat against shoulder and DD loads as pitcher goes in her windup.Drop of heel of frt foot starts the swing.Needed a starting point to help DD to start hitting the ball again.We will progress from there.Hope this helps.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
If you PM me I will let you know how the lead foot and heel should be and the drill Howard , Bustos uses to teach correct front foot placement. It will add more power to her swing and engage the hips.

Jul 19, 2011
If you PM me I will let you know how the lead foot and heel should be and the drill Howard , Bustos uses to teach correct front foot placement. It will add more power to her swing and engage the hips.

not sure what PM means and I am new to this forum. but you can email me if you want?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06