Hitting instruction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2011
Thanks, SoGASoftball. You are definitely correct. I wasn't in any way complaining about the fact the she was given homework. What I wanted to get feedback on is what the homework was. Sometimes girls don't have access to a lot of tools and/or a parent that they might need in order to do some of the drills. Sometimes the girls would just prefer to do it themselves. I just wanted some ideas on things that they send their girls home to do.

I guess I'll give examples. We've moved to GA recently (husband is military and serving overseas) and my daughter's instructor sends either handouts or videos he has made over the years so my daughter and I can see exactly what he wants her doing, whether it's tee work or whatever. He also has her doing a lot of things in front of a mirror, some of it in slow motion. She has a "practice book" that she has to fill out every day on what she did and for how long. If nothing is filled in, he says it's not worth her coming to a lesson as she did not do anything. When she plays games, he strongly suggests that I somehow tape it and provide it to him (our coach does that).

She's been having some issues with "spinning" as he calls it so he had her putting a piece of vertical tape on the mirror, lining her back hip up with it, and working on loading and unloading her back leg as he called it. He wanted her to see her back hip move forward or push into heel plant I think he said. Of course, I could be getting all the terminology all mixed up, but it definitely seems to be helping. He also has her doing a lot of throwing drills that I think are meant to simulate the swing.

I can tell you that I as a mom and former softball player really like this attention to detail and so does my daughter, but I don't think this is the normal approach as this is her first real instructor. I can tell you when I had instruction as a kid you just went to the cage, hit, went home, repeat.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Thanks, SoGASoftball. You are definitely correct. I wasn't in any way complaining about the fact the she was given homework. What I wanted to get feedback on is what the homework was. Sometimes girls don't have access to a lot of tools and/or a parent that they might need in order to do some of the drills. Sometimes the girls would just prefer to do it themselves. I just wanted some ideas on things that they send their girls home to do.

I guess I'll give examples. We've moved to GA recently (husband is military and serving overseas) and my daughter's instructor sends either handouts or videos he has made over the years so my daughter and I can see exactly what he wants her doing, whether it's tee work or whatever. He also has her doing a lot of things in front of a mirror, some of it in slow motion. She has a "practice book" that she has to fill out every day on what she did and for how long. If nothing is filled in, he says it's not worth her coming to a lesson as she did not do anything. When she plays games, he strongly suggests that I somehow tape it and provide it to him (our coach does that).

She's been having some issues with "spinning" as he calls it so he had her putting a piece of vertical tape on the mirror, lining her back hip up with it, and working on loading and unloading her back leg as he called it. He wanted her to see her back hip move forward or push into heel plant I think he said. Of course, I could be getting all the terminology all mixed up, but it definitely seems to be helping. He also has her doing a lot of throwing drills that I think are meant to simulate the swing.

I can tell you that I as a mom and former softball player really like this attention to detail and so does my daughter, but I don't think this is the normal approach as this is her first real instructor. I can tell you when I had instruction as a kid you just went to the cage, hit, went home, repeat.

Based on what you say he's trying to teach her and the type of homework he's having her do, unfortunately I have to agree that your DD's instructor isn't the norm. IMO, it sounds like you have been luckier than most and found your DD an excellent instructor. And thanks to your DH and your family for his service.

Sep 18, 2012
A, A
I had one instructor who first molded my daughters swing, break it down in 5 steps. First load, second hands coming right from ear to a palm up and a palm down belly button pointing at ball (while a ball is sitting on a tee)position. 3rd pushing out and extending the arms. 4th finishing high with a visible "power v" between left arm and right arm. 5th finishing and swinging bat over the top.After going through these steps we would start hitting balls at position 2,3' and 4 first off the tee, then soft tossing. Isolating each position looking for muscle memory and good form.Still like this approach for a beginner swing. He also had a footwork drill he used to help teach balance! Later I found out he was a real jerk lol but I did think he did a nice job. Incidently I think 2008 his daughters team won Asa "a" 18u national championship and his daughter went d1, I dunno maybe he knew what he was doing! Lol

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA