Hitting Drills Needed.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
IMO there are four critical movements to a good swing.
Good Sequence - Good Weight Shift - Get the hands flat efficiently - Launch swing from a balanced position.

I like these two drills to help teach the sequence and balance:

The hip cock/coil can be incorporated into both of these drills. If the player is further taught to keep their front foot turned in as they stride they will develop a better understanding of what is meant by front side resistence and what is meant by "forward yet back". It also helps with balance.

I would definitely start introducing the kids to the concept of weight shifting using the hips. This drill also helps with balance.

wuqe5d.gif

I teach the hand flattening move hands on. I demonstrate the three different ways that young players get their hands started/slot their rear elbow, and then physically move their arms doing it the way I believe is most efficient.

Happy instructing:D

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
I agree with Jim. That seems to be the first thing I have to fix when I'm working with kids. Bug squishing, wrist rollers and hands to the ball( casting) would be next on the list.

Agree the proper grip is a prerequisite. Without a decent grip you can be just spinning your wheels. Those are typical problems for sure and with the young girls I usually get one or two batters who lean out over a bent front leg. That's a hard one to correct, any suggestions?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes