Hitting coaches' philosophy beyond hitting mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I guess no one read it very close.
SQUISH THE BUG . Now think about what you are asking them to do with the knee. Now how many of you at one time or another taught this. Talk to any medical doctor. It isn't the one time impact. This is just one of many. Hitting basketballs and punching bags was also mentioned. FFS , you have a post that talks about the quads and hamstrings, I didn't attack it. But think about the quads on a female and what you told a young lady to do. Your theory is great, if this was an adult, but for a young kid to do what you just told them would put stress on the knee. I don't claim to be a medical DR. Like many on here I read, attend clinics , and have attended more than my share of conditioning clinics that cover injuries. The last was a PEP clinic that covered many of the topics that Howard Carrier covered on this site. Than it was taken girls are weak and that they can't swing like a boy. None of the 6 team USA players I have talked to tbelieve that, nor do I. I do believe how you train them can cause injuries and everyone of them will tell you they have had an injury that they felt was do to poor training or teaching methods. If you get a chance talk to Jenny Topping about this subject. Goggle her to see how many times she blew out her knees. I talked to her and Laura Berg and this was a very hot topic with them. Yes Bustos has also blew out a knee and was present, so just being big and strong doesn't prevent this. But heck what do they know they only have to play the game.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS , you have a post that talks about the quads and hamstrings, I didn't attack it. But think about the quads on a female and what you told a young lady to do. Your theory is great, if this was an adult, but for a young kid to do what you just told them would put stress on the knee. I don't claim to be a medical DR.

SBF, as an FYI, when Howard speaks of bending at the knees in the stance ... he is speaking of this action. When a hitter does this they should be establishing dynamic balance in their legs and activating the muscles in their legs.

To suggest that a young hitter not do this, is questionable IMO.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Female ACL Injuries
Read and tell me if we might think Howard could be on to something. Data sure supports it.

Do hormonal differences predispose athletes to injury? It is well known that female hormones effect the composition and structure of a variety of tissues. Estrogen has a significant effect on the development of bone, muscle, and connective tissue. Clearly, fluctuations in hormonal concentrations may influence the structure and composition of the anterior cruciate ligament. One statement from the study that Howard has been saying for years.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
We've had this discussion before SBF. The general conclusion was not that females should adopt significantly different batting mechanics, but that they should condition their bodies.

R

RayR

Never taught this.....ever....never heard the stupid queue growing up and when I first heard it coaching softball I thought it was a gimmick for young girls to keep them entertained....

I thought you were referring to something else....

I guess no one read it very close.
SQUISH THE BUG . Now think about what you are asking them to do with the knee. Now how many of you at one time or another taught this. Talk to any medical doctor. It isn't the one time impact. This is just one of many. Hitting basketballs and punching bags was also mentioned. FFS , you have a post that talks about the quads and hamstrings, I didn't attack it. But think about the quads on a female and what you told a young lady to do. Your theory is great, if this was an adult, but for a young kid to do what you just told them would put stress on the knee. I don't claim to be a medical DR. Like many on here I read, attend clinics , and have attended more than my share of conditioning clinics that cover injuries. The last was a PEP clinic that covered many of the topics that Howard Carrier covered on this site. Than it was taken girls are weak and that they can't swing like a boy. None of the 6 team USA players I have talked to tbelieve that, nor do I. I do believe how you train them can cause injuries and everyone of them will tell you they have had an injury that they felt was do to poor training or teaching methods. If you get a chance talk to Jenny Topping about this subject. Goggle her to see how many times she blew out her knees. I talked to her and Laura Berg and this was a very hot topic with them. Yes Bustos has also blew out a knee and was present, so just being big and strong doesn't prevent this. But heck what do they know they only have to play the game.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Tougher Army training doubles female injuries - Telegraph

Even the US Army now disagree with you, it's not the conditioning that we are arguing about. It is that women and men have differences that a hitting coach that works with females should be aware of. You are a very Knowledgeable in hitting and I read many of your posts on this and the other sites we visit. Where we disagree is how you explain things to a father to teach a young ( say 14 year old) what you are telling them , we think could cause stress, because they are not able to do it they way you post. How you teach your dd who plays in college would be different than a 14U old. I hope that makes sense.

http://www.momsteam.com/health-safety/muscles-joints-bones/knee/acl-injuries-in-female-athletes

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
I do think my thread is still in here somewhere. Hitter, SBFAMILY and any others that are teaching mechanics with the female / male differences, HOW are you coaching differently then lets say 3 or 4 years ago? Have you seen results in fewer injuries? What specifically then do you point out to parents so they are echoing your current teaching methods v. some that may be more prone to cause injury?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619