Hitting baseballs with softball bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
I'm sorry if this has been asked before! Is it bad for the bat (xeno softball bat 33/23) to hit baseballs? Dd has a hitting coach that only has baseballs, I've heard it's not good to hit baseballs with a softball bat? Just wondering if it's true or myth.

And if it is bad in bat, do you think it ok for me to bring a bucket of softballs and ask that they do lesson with those? Thanks

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
I have always heard that hitting baseballs with a composite bat was a bad idea. However, my dd's hitting coach only uses baseballs. We have been going to same coach for awhile with no problems.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before! Is it bad for the bat (xeno softball bat 33/23) to hit baseballs? Dd has a hitting coach that only has baseballs, I've heard it's not good to hit baseballs with a softball bat? Just wondering if it's true or myth.

And if it is bad in bat, do you think it ok for me to bring a bucket of softballs and ask that they do lesson with those? Thanks

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Just al long as it's not a pitched ball by a true pitcher at full velocity to a Rocketech. Dd decided one day to challenge her then BB HS Pitcher BF to a hitting contest. She struck him out and she had what would have been a HR plus a weeks wait for a new RT to arrive due to the huge dent left by it.

May 16, 2016
I absolutely positively would not hit Baseballs with any type of softball bat, let alone an expensive composite bat.

I recall as a kid using an aluminum softball bat to casually hit baseballs, and having a dented and deformed softball bat at the end of the day.

Baseballs are not necessarily harder, but they are denser than softballs.

Baseball bats generally have larger barrels, giving them a flatter contact area then softball bats, which distributes the impact energy over a larger area. When hitting a baseball with a smaller diameter softball bat, you are concentrating the energy to a smaller point on the bat, increasing wear, and possibly damaging your bat. I would also imagine hitting baseballs would void your warranty if your bat is still under one.

Either bring your own softballs for the lesson, or borrow a same weight/length baseball bat from the coach.

FWIW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole