Hitting approach - outside in or inside out?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

AtlantaHitDoc

Coaching and Loving it!
Dec 19, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Coaches, there's probably a thread on this topic that I have overlooked but since I rarely am on any forums nowadays, I thought I'd just throw it out there for some friendly debate.

What do you teach your girls their approach at the plate should be as far as where they should look and then adjust to? I know there are many, many factors to take into account such as what the pitcher throws, situations, etc., etc. But in a plain vanilla, no runners on base situation, what do you teach as an approach? Is it look inside and adjust to outside or is it look outside and adjust to inside? And then I’d like to know why. I can tell you that I’ve heard both sides by some very good instructors. Some arguments I like, some I don’t. I would just like to get your thoughts.

Coach Danny

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
This is a topic DD and I discuss quite often. I stress to her the importance of being a student. Speak with your teammates to see how the pitcher is pitching to them; pitches, locations, counts, etc. Watch the pitcher from the dugout to gauge speed, accuracy, etc. Use your time in the on-deck circle wisely by honing in on what you were watching from the dugout. And if you have any history with this particular pitcher, how did she try to pitch to you in the past? Were you successful against her, or was she successful against you? All this said, her typical approach in high school softball will be to look outside at the beginning of counts. There are numerous reasons for this, but in our particular region/district, the pitchers tend to focus on the outside 1/3 of the plate, especially early in counts. So if you are looking for my "argument", it is just simple math and probability.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
I ve always been told to swing early on inside pitches. Yet Ive heard B Bonds and T Gwynn say that they look outside then adjust in. This had me confused. A member on here explained it to me in a way that makes sense.

It takes longer to adjust hands/body for the outside pitch so players should look outside first.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves