Hitting Analysis of 2 Different Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 21, 2010
I would greatly appreciate some help with two players I have inherited.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vLVcZNRP_Mk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vLVcZNRP_Mk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

The first young lady has been working very hard to adjust her swing, but there are somethings I just need fresh eyes to look at. Could she be "sitting" more at the start? ( Knees bent more in an athletic position) Is her front leg to soft? Any drills too would be greatly appreciated.

Also, my second player has a few bigger issues. I'm going to take a stab at analyzing just to see how I'm doing too.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xW2xuOLYvDE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xW2xuOLYvDE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I see a lot of issues with her front and lead elbows. In their positions and their actions when the move "forward". I think it might be causing some casting and bat drag. Also, too much "squishing" leaving too much weight on back leg. And her finish needs to be higher. I'm sure there are others (I'd love to hear them)

Am I correct at any of these assumptions? Am I putting the cart before the horse, is there a larger one I should be concerned with?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
May 12, 2008
Second hitter stands up straight and employs bat drag to go get the ball. Needs to get in an athletic stance, learn to rotate well from there and connect that rotation to the bat. I think first in terms of you and the hitter understanding the problem. To me that's over half the battle.

Feb 14, 2010
I'm no expert by any means but the big thing I see with the second girl is her posture. She is not in a attacking position at all and it really causes her to sit on that back leg. Watch where she's gettting extension, it's causing her to slap her back with her bathead. Everything is out of sync. Starting rotation way to early. Looks alot like my daughter a couple of weeks ago. Night and day difference now after working hard to fix those issues.

There is alot of great help on here. I've gotten my daughter headed in the right direction in a short amount of time by reading on here. As far as the elbows I believe it was Wellphyt that had the best clue on how to fix that issue.

Feb 8, 2009
I really like the first girl's swing. It's not the best angle, but she appears to be a little upright. I think she could use more tilt from the waist. I think your assessment of the 2nd girl is right on.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
on the second girl, I see the front elbow straightening , & the back one leading the hands which is causing army swing with backdrag....btw that observation was more for my own good than yours & may be wrong

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Second girl would have problems throwing a ball. Look at her weight shift. Very simple drill . Have her stand against a wall when she picks up her front foot to understand she is falling backward. You can also get them to feel it by standing in front of them and when they pick up the foot to load, holding your hand against her shoulder she should fall inot you if you moved her hand.. . This gril with a little pressure would fall backward, as she no longer has her weight inside the back leg. We teach a simple leg cock, instead of picking up the front foot to load , because young girls all seem to do what hitter # 2 is doing.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I would not touch the first girl right now. She does what most fastpitch players don't do. She turns her hands over when she lowers her back elbow to initiate her swing. She has a nice little hip cock and IMO good weight transfer from the back side. Yes, she is a little too upright when she swings, but that could be a result of hitting off of a tee.

I would show the second girl what the first girl is doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06