Hit by line drive yesterday.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2013
I think part of what has to be differentiated here is that we're talking about protecting kids not adults ... unfortunately, some adults are either ignorant (not necessarily in a bad way ... they just don't realize what could happen) or irresponsible when it comes to protecting their own kids, and sometimes society/government feels the need to step in and protect these kids who can't protect themselves ... hence, things like car seat laws, safety standards on cribs, baby toys, etc.

So what are you implying? That those of use who let our kids play without a mask are ignorant?

Feb 17, 2014
Again with the ignorant question.

Can we agree that some parents (myself included) insist that their DD pitch with a mask and wear a mask on the infield. Mine has had hers since 11U when she started pitching to batters. As a freshman this year sometimes (both pitchers are freshmen on our team) our pitchers are the only ones to wear masks. Other players wear masks on the infield but not all of them.

Can we agree that other parents don't want their DD to wear a mask.

Can we agree that other parents let their DD decide to wear one or not.

Three options. Three different ways of thinking.

Mine is that the risk to my DD is to great not to wear a mask. We have attended several local college games this spring and have witnessed several line shots that missed the pitcher's face by a couple of inches. Crushed bones, eye damage, other damage
is not worth the risk of not wearing a mask. I pitched in men's slow pitch for years. I knew the risks and accepted them as an adult. But in the 2000's, the bats got so hot I and most other pitchers started wearing some protection. I knew guys that had more
gear on than a goalie. But that was due to the other teams having players that would purposely try to hit the pitcher. Now, very
few girls would purposely try to hit a pitcher but mishits happen or if you groove one by accident it is coming back a lot faster than
DD threw it.

Other parents are the tough guys and don't want their kids seeming to wimp out and wear a mask. I heard a girl during a game say go ahead and hit me, I can take it. It was her first game to play third. When she did get a couple of ground balls, she froze and didn't get the out. It was her last game at third. She does wear a mask to pitch tho.

I think some parents are intimidated like the girls into not wearing a mask and don't want to make a choice so they let the girl decide to wear a mask or not. Other parents have not seen the results of getting a line drive to the face.

A line drive to the arm or leg can break it but a line drive to the face causes far more extensive damage. I think we can agree on that.

So our choices:

Insist on wearing a mask and most likely limit the damage from a hard shot.

Insist on not wearing a mask and hope it never happens.

Let the girl decide for herself and hope it never happens.

With options 2 and 3, if it happens to the DD or she or her parents witness someone take a line drive to the face, I would think that most parents and DD's would accept the idea of a mask to limit the damage.

Can we agree on these points as the basis to the discussion

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
Redbirdone ... I am absolutely not implying this, and sorry if you took it that way. I should add that my daughter just finished her college pitching career 2 years ago and never wore a mask, but I wished many times that she would have and would have been required to. To clarify, my point about ignorance is that there are some parents out there who don't even realize how seriously their daughter could be injured, and who might assume that because a mask isn't required, that she must be safe. That obviously doesn't hold true for most of us in this forum, but no doubt does apply to some parents.

Apr 8, 2013
Redbirdone ... I am absolutely not implying this, and sorry if you took it that way. I should add that my daughter just finished her college pitching career 2 years ago and never wore a mask, but I wished many times that she would have and would have been required to. To clarify, my point about ignorance is that there are some parents out there who don't even realize how seriously their daughter could be injured, and who might assume that because a mask isn't required, that she must be safe. That obviously doesn't hold true for most of us in this forum, but no doubt does apply to some parents.

I'm a numbers guy. I know that everything we ever do in life has risk. I find it funny that some people are afraid of flying, but will drive cross county. Which has the higher odds of dying? (if you don't know the answer, flying 3,000 miles is far safer than driving 3,000 miles). By putting her on the softball field, she can get hurt. But with that logic, you also have to consider that by driving to the softball field, she can get hurt. Oh the dilemma!

With everything that's been said, let me say this as relates to my own personal situation. My youngest wears a mask to pitch because the rec league she learned to pitch in and still pitches in requires it. When we go to tournaments with her TB team it's not required but we both agree that she should wear the mask - not because it's safer (that's actually never come up), but because she doesn't need the variation between the two. She's still young (10U). Balls are not being hit as hard as older girls. Maybe she will continue with the mask, maybe not. But it will be her choice and I will support her decision. And she does not wear a mask in any other position on the field.

Feb 17, 2014
Mask

I'm a numbers guy. I know that everything we ever do in life has risk. I find it funny that some people are afraid of flying, but will drive cross county. Which has the higher odds of dying? (if you don't know the answer, flying 3,000 miles is far safer than driving 3,000 miles). By putting her on the softball field, she can get hurt. But with that logic, you also have to consider that by driving to the softball field, she can get hurt. Oh the dilemma!

With everything that's been said, let me say this as relates to my own personal situation. My youngest wears a mask to pitch because the rec league she learned to pitch in and still pitches in requires it. When we go to tournaments with her TB team it's not required but we both agree that she should wear the mask - not because it's safer (that's actually never come up), but because she doesn't need the variation between the two. She's still young (10U). Balls are not being hit as hard as older girls. Maybe she will continue with the mask, maybe not. But it will be her choice and I will support her decision. And she does not wear a mask in any other position on the field.

Just curious. Not trying to start anything. Just trying to filter thru all the different ways of thinking about this issue.

Why will you let your daughter make the decision? Will you discuss the different options or just let her make it by herself with no input from you?

Again.... to make the best decision for a situation...I like to have as many thought processes from others as I can get and then make the best decision for my DD....

Dec 29, 2010

U be suprised on how hard 10u tb can hit, especially from 35 feet away.

Apr 8, 2013
Just curious. Not trying to start anything. Just trying to filter thru all the different ways of thinking about this issue.

Why will you let your daughter make the decision? Will you discuss the different options or just let her make it by herself with no input from you?

Again.... to make the best decision for a situation...I like to have as many thought processes from others as I can get and then make the best decision for my DD....

A lot of this has to do with her comfort level. If one day she says "I don't want to wear the mask" then it's done. No more mask. I understand the risk, but also understand that everything we do in life has risk. When she turns 16 she will want to keys to the car....again, another dilemma!

We do drills (just the two of us, not team practices) where she pitches and gets ready for the hit. She is not a "thigh slapper" because it is harder to get her glove in position to defend, at least in my opinion. I tell her about the risk. She knows to expect it. She does wear an evoshield chest guard.

To add to the dialog, I pitched in baseball from age 8 until college. I played 2 years in community college and then size got the best of me (not a lot of need for a 5'8" pitcher who throws 80mph all out). I had quite a few scares, and have damage to this day. My left pinky (I was a lefty, only reason I even sniffed CC ball) got hit one day and ripped the nail right off. Almost 20 years later and I still can't grow a full nail on it. Also had a few "cup checks" while on the mound.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
I am firmly in the "masks are a choice" column.

That being said, I find it peculiar that in all other areas of our DD's lives we want them to be strong and have self-esteem. We want them to be able to come to us for advice willingly. We pray that they make good choices.

But when a player decides keeping her face as unscathed as possible by wearing a mask is right for her, she is a "coward" or "obviously not a real player".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Carbajal