Hit and Run

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2011
In softball, would the hit and run play work best if the ball is hit toward SS with runner on 1B? The SS normally covers 2B on a steal and I assume would go there when they see the runner leaving 2B. I could see hitting behind the runner if runner on 2B for hit and run. Thoughts?

Sep 11, 2009
I rarely used a 'hit and run' while coaching fastpitch. The hit and run is common in baseball because of double plays. Double plays in fastpitch are rare. With that being said it is effective sometimes if a shortstop is aggressively shadowing 2nd base with a runner at first. If the shortstop moves to cover 2nd base early on a steal it will allow a big gap on the left side of the infield for the batter to hit through.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
SS would not break for the bag until they make sure the ball is not in play (hit). Girls should be able to directional hit meaning if we see a SS bail early were hitting the gap. The only time they truly break is an obvious Sac Bunt situation.

Watch some local A tournies or D1/2/3 ball. I see double plays turned often-saw 2 in 1 game last night. Turned 4 in a 6 game tourney last weekend. If the ball is hit hard to SS DP are pretty easy when practiced. Don't sell your players short IMHO.

Personally Id sacrifice bunt or fake bunt and/or try to straight steal 2nd. If not wed hit n run behind the runner and try to hit the gap between 1 and 2 especially if the middle infielders are cheating over for the DP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom