Hips open or closed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Ken, my mistake... I should've been more clear. The "arm touching the stomach" is an exaggeration. A lot of what I teach is exaggerations because I run into girls who have dreadful habits caused by the HE mechanics of other coaches. So, to exaggerate it, I have them get their arm through the hips by telling them to brush their belly. Due to the natural twists and turns that the body does when throwing, it's nearly impossible to touch the arm to the belly (unless the pitcher stays completely open the entire time, which i absolutely disagree with). But, in my experience the phrase "touch your arm to your belly" seems to click with kids to get the ball ahead of the hips. Personally I think telling them to tuck their elbow, etc is too technical and I'm all about the simplicity of it. Once they get the hang of being open long enough for the arm to clear through and the natural motion of the arm movement, the elbow will tuck itself in. I would bet my house that nobody told any of those pictured pitchers to tuck their elbows. They figured it out with their mechanics.

I think MOST pc's agree that the hips need to close, the question is WHEN do you close them. I believe the hip should push the ball through and close after. Staying open the ENTIRE time is losing the power of hips IMHO. Imagine a baseball pitcher from the stretch position who didn't rotate his body upon throwing the ball... staying sideways the entire time. He wouldn't get much, if any, power.

So, I hope that clarifies what was intended.

Bill

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...i think most pc's agree that the hips need to close, the question is when do you close them. I believe the hip should push the ball through and close after. Staying open the entire time is losing the power of hips imho. Imagine a baseball pitcher from the stretch position who didn't rotate his body upon throwing the ball... Staying sideways the entire time. He wouldn't get much, if any, power.

So, i hope that clarifies what was intended.

Bill

like he said!!!

Apr 22, 2016
Texas
Just trying to make sure I am understanding correctly. The hips are closing and stopping at approximately 45 degrees from 12 o'clock until the ball is released, and then closing completely after the ball is gone?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Just trying to make sure I am understanding correctly. The hips are closing and stopping at approximately 45 degrees from 12 o'clock until the ball is released, and then closing completely after the ball is gone?

I tend to think most close to a point (35-60 degrees) and hold there after release. A few follow through to square, or farther after release (watch the Japanese pitchers.) Who's right/what's best? That's the question...

Apr 22, 2016
Texas
I am just trying to get DD to close her hips at all. She has the tendency to hold them back with an anchored back foot instead of them naturally doing what they want to do.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I generally shy away from actively closing the hips.

Maybe try a cue with her foot or knee. Try, "squeeze the knees," "laces to target," "drag the toenails" or "toes to heel." Lately I've been using javasource's cue of seeing how quickly and far a kid can drag the toe.

Each kid seems to respond differently, so finding the right cue is the trick....

Apr 28, 2014
Someone said something to me that made sense as DD as transitioning to IR.
They said hello elbow open and close is like a swinging door.
IR Open and close is like a sliding door. When my DD stays open longer she is much more accurate. But it's pitch dependent.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA